My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 1998 John Deere 425 AWS with 1830 hours. The tractor runs and mows for 45 minutes to an hour and then dies. If I try to restart it then, the fuel pump will not be humming. After waiting several hours, I can try and the fuel pump will be running and it'll fire up. I've scoured posts here and on other forums that have similar issues but can't get a straight answer for this specific problem.

I checked the fuses and all the connectors. I don't believe it's an electrical issue because it will have power after resting a few hours, but I may be wrong. The dash lights still come on even when the fuel pump won't hum. Other posts have suggested on related issues that it could be the ignition switch module, a 2 inch rubber hose in the tank, or the fuel pump itself. I'm just wondering if any one has the answer to this specific intermittent problem, or suggestions for troubleshooting. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
JD317, JD318, JD430GT
693 Posts
The fuel pump itself might be overheating and binding up - cools off and works again. The only way you're going to know is to run it until it stops, then get to the pump to see if it has voltage going to it. I would consider it good news that it won't run for a few hours - that gives you time to see it in the failed state.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
8,734 Posts
Yeah, run it until it happens, then first try removing the gas cap to hear/feel if there is a vacuum, then if there isn't with the key on/pto off test for voltage at the fuel pump (maybe also do this test before you start using the tractor, to make sure it gets power and isn't depending on something else, like someone sitting in the seat for the FP to get power).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for replies. Next time I'll run it until it happens, listen for vacuum immediately, and check voltage at the pump. I generally run it with the cap loosened but haven't checked the vent for blockage. Just mowed a few days ago but will update the post after getting to mow again.

If there is voltage after it happens, then does that indicate the pump is bad? The overheating/binding up theory makes sense. I've had problems with it the last 2 years, but hadn't noticed the fuel pump not running after until getting it out this spring. Actually the first time I tried starting it this year the fuel pump was not running, but eventually it came on and I got it going, before it died after 45 minutes of mowing. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
8,734 Posts
It could be a bad connection, or maybe there's some other problem, either with getting fuel from the tank (like, say, a leaf in the tank plugging the outlet), or perhaps a plugged fuel filter or collapsed line, that lets some fuel through, but causes the fuel pump to work too hard?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: After sitting a few weeks, I tried starting and the fuel pump is not running. It ran before I parked it. The engine ran briefly with the fuel that was in the carb but died shortly thereafter. I tested voltage at the fuel pump and it is getting power. The fuel pump appears to be bloated but maybe that is how they look over time. I have replaced the fuel line from the pump to the fuel filter because a portion under the seat was noticeably flattened/collapsed. This could have been causing the fuel pump to work too hard. Most likely I will be getting a new pump. I bought this 425 with 1630 hours and do not know when/if the pump has been replaced, though it appears fairly clean. The pump filter feels full but I don't know how to get it off. This post on another forum gives the part numbers and recommended replacements for the pump. Thanks for the comments and will continue to post updates.

Musical instrument Automotive tire Idiophone Wheel Tire

·
Registered
716 Posts
No need to take the filter off but if you insist it should simply pull/twist off the end of the pump.
New pump should come with new filter, but you should save all attachment parts as you likely need to reuse them.
You should use submersible rated fuel hose, such as Gates 27093 as well stainless FI hose clamps (SAE #14).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No need to take the filter off but if you insist it should simply pull/twist off the end of the pump.
New pump should come with new filter, but you should save all attachment parts as you likely need to reuse them.
You should use submersible rated fuel hose, such as Gates 27093 as well stainless FI hose clamps (SAE #14).
I do not need to take off the filter and am not going to, I was just curious if it really was full of gunk or if that's just how it feels. I have ordered a new pump with a new filter. Thanks for the tip on the hose and clamps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts