My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 1999 john deere 4200 came with a 420 loader. The bucket raises and lowers fine, but when I rotate the bucket back towards me, it won't hold in that position. I think I have narrowed the problem to the selective control valve. I imagine it is a problem with the o-rings and am looking for a rebuild kit (I have the tech manual which describes the process, but no part numbers). Can anyone help?

·
Registered
346 Posts
There is no rebuild kit for a spool valve. The sealing is done by a VERY close fit between the spool and the valve body-this is done at the factory by honing the bore and lapping the spool, that is why you cannot buy a replacement spool.

I am curious why you think it's the valve? It is common for the seals in the cylinders to be bad causing your exact symptoms.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to my good buddies at the JD dealership and they suggested that it was the cylinders that were the problem. I've ordered two seal kits (one for each side) and will try replacing them when the parts come in. At $34 for a kit, it'll be much cheaper than dealing with the SCV unit... if it works.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I talked to my good buddies at the JD dealership and they suggested that it was the cylinders that were the problem. I've ordered two seal kits (one for each side) and will try replacing them when the parts come in. At $34 for a kit, it'll be much cheaper than dealing with the SCV unit... if it works.
My bet is that they will solve your problem.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My bet is that they will solve your problem.
I'm betting it will too. The seals were always the culprit on our bigger tractor/loader combo's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts