My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a 420 w/ 800 hours and a cracked block. I'm not sure if it has the 50 or 60in deck yet either. It still runs technically but is very low on power. I'm not sure what this is really worth being it'll need a completely different engine, ideally I think I'd like to look at a vangaurd swap but thats some bucks too.

I've got a 318 w/ 46" deck now that isnt the best cosmetically and has about 400 hours on an overhaul, 1400 on tractor not using any oil and I've got the thought in the back of my mind to offer it as a trade, am I crazy, non-running 420 for a perfectly good 318? I'd love the locking diff.....and a bigger deck wouldnt hurt.

Also, does the model 49 blower fit the 420 as well I've got one I've yet to hook up on my 318. I also have a loader(well dad's) setup on an old style 316 that would definately work better on the 420.....

Anybody know what a 20hp vangaurd swap costs for a 420? Thanks for any and all input.

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
I'm considering a 420 w/ 800 hours and a cracked block. I'm not sure if it has the 50 or 60in deck yet either. It still runs technically but is very low on power. I'm not sure what this is really worth being it'll need a completely different engine, ideally I think I'd like to look at a vangaurd swap but thats some bucks too.

I've got a 318 w/ 46" deck now that isnt the best cosmetically and has about 400 hours on an overhaul, 1400 on tractor not using any oil and I've got the thought in the back of my mind to offer it as a trade, am I crazy, non-running 420 for a perfectly good 318? I'd love the locking diff.....and a bigger deck wouldnt hurt.

Also, does the model 49 blower fit the 420 as well I've got one I've yet to hook up on my 318. I also have a loader(well dad's) setup on an old style 316 that would definately work better on the 420.....

Anybody know what a 20hp vangaurd swap costs for a 420? Thanks for any and all input.
He says in his ad: "I feel 1500, trade value, less for cash offers. O.B.O is fair price for the parts alone"

Do you think you can sell your 318 for $1500? If so, sell your 318 and offer him a lower amount in cash.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
800 hours is awfully low for a cracked block. I would claim abuse, and worry the transaxle is in not much better shape. $500 max.

[/QUOTE] I've got a 318 w/ 46" deck now that isnt the best cosmetically and has about 400 hours on an overhaul, 1400 on tractor not using any oil and I've got the thought in the back of my mind to offer it as a trade, am I crazy, non-running 420 for a perfectly good 318? I'd love the locking diff.....and a bigger deck wouldnt hurt.[/QUOTE]
yes, you are loco in your cabessa.

[/QUOTE]
Also, does the model 49 blower fit the 420 as well I've got one I've yet to hook up on my 318. I also have a loader(well dad's) setup on an old style 316 that would definately work better on the 420.....[/QUOTE]
The 420's front end is wider and your 49 blower would need new mounts to fit.

[/QUOTE]Anybody know what a 20hp vangaurd swap costs for a 420? Thanks for any and all input.[/QUOTE]
$1700 for the engine alone, and hope the guy selling them supplies a complete repower kit.

For comparison, good runing 420s are down to $2k - $2.5k.

So, here is what you need to do.
Give the guy $500 - if he says it's $1500 worth of parts, then tell him to part it out on the spot, and you will give him $400 for the transaxle, pump, fender pan, and dif lock and 2 speed control linkages, H3 valve and levers (with linkages and lines). It will all bolt right up to your 318 and then you have a bad to the bone 318. Credit to PA318Guy for this tip!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts