My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 400 around were i live and was wondering if you can get a two stage snowblower for it? It comes with a single stage but would like a two stage.

·
10,839 Posts
Don't sell the single stage short quite yet. With a correctly maintained and set-up blower that has a clean, smooth chute and a paddle that has the correct clearance, it will perform just as well as a two stage.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: john deere 400 snowblowers and tillers?

Is there an aftermarket tiller that would work on the 400?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Anything is possible on the tiller. But you will need to fabricate a pto to drive the tiller or have one with its own engine that you just need a three point. The single stage will blow a ton of snow. With the full 46" each pass.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
One thing on a single stage - they work best if you feed them pretty fast. They like to move a lot of snow, just inching into the snow lets it clog up easier.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well if i was to buy this i would be blowing some very deep snow like 3-4 foot drifts, would this handle that? Would i want to just put it down on the ground and go and make a second pass to clean it up or lift it up all the way go a little bit then back up and put it down and go.http://www.bismanonline.com/400_john_deere_lawn_tractor This is the link for the machine does it look like a good deal?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
That is a fair deal. I paid 2500 for mine but the deck was in bad shape. Needed lots of new parts. But the snowblower looks brand new. Trust me it will do fine with the snow drifts you will get. My house faces north and I get the exact same thing everytime. Big drift right up by the garage. My routine starts with cutting a path to the other side of the tall drift. The cut it parallel with the blower all the way down. You will want drift cutters on both sides of the snowblower to knock down the overhanging drift. You wont be dissapointed with it. The hydrostatic drive and hydrualic lift and chute turn make me smile everytime I use it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts