My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the lower bearing on my PTO clutch. I was able to remove the bolt holding the PTO to the shaft with a impact wrench. However, I have not been able to get the PTO off the shaft to remove the bearing. I have read all the past posts on this subject on this and other forums and came to the conclusion that I need to use a wheel puller. I borrowed three different one from my neighbor but could not get any of them to work. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing, so here are a few questions.

First of all, what are the two surfaces I'm pulling against? The pullers I have will only reach the first pulley and that appears to be made of aluminum? Do I put the jaws on this pulley? In order to reach the top of the PTO, I'd need a much bigger puller! So then where do I place the bolt? I put the PTO bolt partially back in and tried to use this to tighten against, but the puller just kept coming off. I was also worried about damaging the aluminum (?) pulley.

Would I be better off with a 3 jaw puller?

FYI....I have used lots of PB Blaster with no results to date

·
Registered
447 Posts
Take it from one that had the same problem few years ago. The PTO is frozen on the crankshaft due to water standing on top of the clutch when you wash the tractor and fail to turn on the PTO to spin the water from the top bearing, and it is all possibly you may have to cut it off as I had to do. I tried wheel pullers, steering wheel puller, torch, and several cans of PB Blaster and waited sever days for it to soak in, and still didn't work.

WARNING: Don't go hammering on the PTO clutch where the crankshaft is, as you will damaged it there and also drive the shaft up into the engine where you will be buying some very expensive parts after you tear it down to replace all the damage parts.
Just get you a portable unit and with a cutting wheel start cutting away the clutch. It will be a PITA and some cuss words that the preacher that helps you will ask you to pay double in the church offering come Sunday.

·
GX345
669 Posts
I had mine off the GX345 couple weeks ago and it came right off. Do you see any rust? Have you tried heat? Taking a torch to the center might help.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't have a 345, but it appears to use the same PTO clutch as a 265 (which I do have). Your shaft should be 1 1/8" diameter. You are pushing against that shaft and pulling the PTO clutch off that shaft. The bolt on the puller must be smaller than the 1 1/8" hole, as it has to fit inside there to push against the shaft.

The PTO clutch has 3 bolts (for adjustment between the electromagnet and clutch plate. If you unscrew those three nuts, the pulley might slide off (or it might not). In any case, if you have to destroy the PTO clutch to get it off, then I guess that's what you have to do. The issue is that you simply cannot get long enough fingers on the puller to get close enough to the shaft to pull it by the bearing itself. Also, the clutch is one part number. You can't buy just the electromagnet or pulley or whatever.

My drive pulley was stuck so hard I had to drill two holes in the pulley and use a wheel puller to pull it off. You might could try this with the deck pulley on the PTO clutch (but even that will probably mangle the 3 bolt posts and electromagnet housing/mount.

Check out xtreme clutches. Their replacement is $90. Deere's will run you 350ish.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
I took the 3 nuts off and separated clutch. The top portion of clutch will stay on. I then used the below puller to attach to he clutch still on the crankshaft.

I do have good luck taking 2 pry bars and rocking clutch off. Remember pry on top of clutch only.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm only trying to take the clutch off to replace the lower bearing. If I separate the clutch into the 2 pieces you mentioned the bearing will be in the lower half I assume? Would this mean that I would not have to remove the upper half or would I still need to do that to align the magnets?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Why don't you take the whole unit off? If you have luck getting the lower part off and replace the bearing, guess what happens lets say in thirty days the upper bearing goes south. I think you can guess you will be removing the whole cultch again. Buy a new one and replace the PTO clutch and be happy. I never did believe in doing half a job.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
I replaced lower bearing with no problem with upper bearing. ( Do not buy the .99 cent bearing)

You will have to drill/grind the tack welds and press the bearing out and in. Some have used a vise. I had access to a press.

$15 for new bearing and over $100+ for new PTO. I will roll the dice. Imho

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I replaced lower bearing with no problem with upper bearing. ( Do not buy the .99 cent bearing)

You will have to drill/grind the tack welds and press the bearing out and in. Some have used a vise. I had access to a press.

$15 for new bearing and over $100+ for new PTO. I will roll the dice. Imho

My bearing is not held in by tack welds it has a C-ring that can be removed. I've read about the need to weld some to keep the new bearing in but I don't have that issue. If I can get this **** thing off the tractor, I feel good about being able to replace the bearing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took the 3 nuts off and separated clutch. The top portion of clutch will stay on. I then used the below puller to attach to he clutch still on the crankshaft.

I do have good luck taking 2 pry bars and rocking clutch off. Remember pry on top of clutch only.
I have been able to put quite a lot of force on this clutch using a pry bar, but I can't get it to budge. I have not tried 2 though!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: John Deere 345 PTO Clutch Removal - I GOT IT!

I got the PTO clutch off and it ended up being pretty easy. I went to Harbor Freight and for $17.99 I got a Pittsburgh Automotive 8" Three-Jaw Puller. This puller was big enough to fit all the way up to the top of the PTO clutch (barely but it did). I hooked the three jaws on to the pultrusions that hold the three bolts that hold the upper clutch to the lower clutch. With very little torque, I was able to remove the clutch!!!

Thanks for all your help!

Now on to replacing the lower bearing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.