My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been a member here for quite awhile but haven't been on for awhile either. Need some advice on my 332 diesel.

Been babying my mower deck along for quite some time now already but over the weekend my son and I did some welding on it and it's time.........time for a new deck that is. Went to my local dealer this morning whom informed me the original 50" full deck replacement was no longer being made and that the best they could do was order a stamp and all the other parts to build a new one.........priced it out at $2300+ and then tried to talk me into trading my 332 for a new L&G tractor........NOPE! I would really like a NEW deck as I take very good care of the tractor........the nearly 30 year old deck just has come to a point it needs replacing and I'd rather just buy the whole thing new......anyone in this forum been through this? What are my options other than ordering piece by piece and building one. I know there are new decks somewhere because my son knows of someone whom bought a new deck for a 322 (gas model) a year ago but has since moved so no way to contact the guy........

Any help will be appreciated! :tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Just went through this with my 180. Craigslist is your best friend. Should be fairly easy to find a decent used deck for a 300 series. I ended up welding mine up anyways since a 46" for a 100 series is a little hard to come by. Good luck!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I had a 50" on my previous 318 and it was a very good deck. I was meticulous on cleaning out under the belt shields and mowed a lot of leaves in fall which left the underside almost polished. If I were in your shoes, I would spring for the 48" replacement deck with the correct lift arms etc. It's not cheap but will be brand new and a friend has one for his 322 and is very pleased. I think you can also mulch with it which is not an option with the standard 46/50" 300 series decks.

Shop around but here is an example of what I am referring to: John Deere 48-inch Complete Replacement Deck BM17879

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good call on the 48" replacement deck, I believe that is what the guy I referred to above bought as well and for $1500 plus change it's really not bad at all........plus free shipping!

·
Penn State Puller!
2,795 Posts
My uncle looked to get a new mower deck for his 318 a few years back. He didn't like the replacement 48" deck that Deere offered and he wanted another 48" deck, so he ordered each individual part for a 46" deck and built one himself and it's worked great. He just got a 50" deck for free that he uses for the lawn and he will use the 46" for mowing the nursery and in the woods. As mentioned above, your best bet is to search craigslist and eBay for good used mower decks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My uncle looked to get a new mower deck for his 318 a few years back. He didn't like the replacement 48" deck that Deere offered and he wanted another 48" deck, so he ordered each individual part for a 46" deck and built one himself and it's worked great. He just got a 50" deck for free that he uses for the lawn and he will use the 46" for mowing the nursery and in the woods. As mentioned above, your best bet is to search craigslist and eBay for good used mower decks.
Hmmm, well, honestly, I believe I'd rather buy a new 48" than buy a used one that may well have similar rust problems and may need new spindles, etc........with my luck whatever I'd buy used would end up costing me as much as the new one linked above........may I ask why he didn't care for the new replacement one?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm in the same boat with my 320, the 46" deck is rough, and not available anymore, but I can get a new 48" replacement deck for around $1300. I do plan on getting it, but the 320 is my backup mower so I haven't been in a hurry to get it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm in the same boat with my 320, the 46" deck is rough, and not available anymore, but I can get a new 48" replacement deck for around $1300. I do plan on getting it, but the 320 is my backup mower so I haven't been in a hurry to get it.
Hmmm, $1300? Where's your source? The one I'm considering is $1524.......

·
Registered
641 Posts
I haven't dealt with "green dealer" either. I would ask your local dealer what the best they could do and then just start researching. The 48 deck for 320 and the 48 replacement deck for 318 are different animals I believe.

·
Penn State Puller!
2,795 Posts
Hmmm, well, honestly, I believe I'd rather buy a new 48" than buy a used one that may well have similar rust problems and may need new spindles, etc........with my luck whatever I'd buy used would end up costing me as much as the new one linked above........may I ask why he didn't care for the new replacement one?
I believe it was cheaper to build another 46" than to pay for a brand new 48". I've heard from a few different people that the 48" replacement decks do not cut very good. The 48" was supposed to be an upgrade from the 46" deck which didn't cut very good to begin with, but it turns out the 48" wasn't much better. I've never used a 48" replacement deck so I can't be sure, but from what I have heard those decks simply are not as nice as they are made out to be.

·
Super Moderator
13,259 Posts
I believe it was cheaper to build another 46" than to pay for a brand new 48". I've heard from a few different people that the 48" replacement decks do not cut very good. The 48" was supposed to be an upgrade from the 46" deck which didn't cut very good to begin with, but it turns out the 48" wasn't much better. I've never used a 48" replacement deck so I can't be sure, but from what I have heard those decks simply are not as nice as they are made out to be.
I have never heard that......

·
Penn State Puller!
2,795 Posts
I have never heard that......
Like I said, that's just what I heard. I know a couple people running 48" decks who were not impressed with them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't dealt with "green dealer" either. I would ask your local dealer what the best they could do and then just start researching. The 48 deck for 320 and the 48 replacement deck for 318 are different animals I believe.
My local dealer won't get me one. Went and talked to them like I said in the first post and then last night one of the sales guys whom I am friends with stopped by to tell me why because he knew I wasn't too pleased with their answer.....he told me that the big wheels that run the dealership do not want them to order replacement decks or even other things for old lawn/garden equipment or even CUT's because they would rather sell new equipment when it comes to smaller tractors.......I told him I thought that was a mistake on their part, he agreed but said their hands are tied. Also, the dealer knows he has a monopoly around here because all the dealerships in the area are now owned by them. I've done a lot of business through that location over the years.........but not this owner. Several lawn garden tractors and several CUT's as well as implements/attachments/service/parts. These guys running the show now are different though.......

I have no problem buying online or somewhere else, I just want to make sure I'm dealing with a reputable dealer.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,696 Posts
My local dealer won't get me one. Went and talked to them like I said in the first post and then last night one of the sales guys whom I am friends with stopped by to tell me why because he knew I wasn't too pleased with their answer.....he told me that the big wheels that run the dealership do not want them to order replacement decks or even other things for old lawn/garden equipment or even CUT's because they would rather sell new equipment when it comes to smaller tractors.......I told him I thought that was a mistake on their part, he agreed but said their hands are tied. Also, the dealer knows he has a monopoly around here because all the dealerships in the area are now owned by them. I've done a lot of business through that location over the years.........but not this owner. Several lawn garden tractors and several CUT's as well as implements/attachments/service/parts. These guys running the show now are different though.......

I have no problem buying online or somewhere else, I just want to make sure I'm dealing with a reputable dealer.
I use these guys occasionally when they have a better price then my local dealer. That seems a little dumb on your dealers part to me it would make more sense to sell you the parts you need and keep you as a loyal customer that might buy some new equipment at some point. My dealer is usually pretty good about it they have parts to me in 2 days max with free shipping and they usually give me a 10% discount depending on who is working the parts counter that day. But I started using the guys I linked above during my 332 resto as I could get some things like decals and some other small stuff cheaper than my local dealer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use these guys occasionally when they have a better price then my local dealer. That seems a little dumb on your dealers part to me it would make more sense to sell you the parts you need and keep you as a loyal customer that might buy some new equipment at some point. My dealer is usually pretty good about it they have parts to me in 2 days max with free shipping and they usually give me a 10% discount depending on who is working the parts counter that day. But I started using the guys I linked above during my 332 resto as I could get some things like decals and some other small stuff cheaper than my local dealer.
Yeah, I know what you mean and even many of the employees that worked there previously don't like what's going on. I used to go in there and they would help me find whatever I needed and get it for me even on really old stuff years ago like parts for my 3020........not anymore. It seems all they want to do is try to trade you out of what you have and sell you new equipment. It's like everyone that works there is basically forced to do their job and be a salesman as well now.

I just want to keep the stuff I have running and looking good. I have the 332 I use on my hunting acreage to mow around the house/lake as well as a X739 I use here at my house and a 955 CUT I use to plant food plots and brush hog/spray.........all were bought from prior owners of the same dealership and all parts/maintenance like JD oil filters etc. and attachments/implements were as well........right now I feel like taking my business elsewhere but.......that literally would mean an 88 mile drive one way to deal with someone other than this owner as the family that owns this dealership has bought all of them in the surrounding area. I guess slowly but surely they will not get me parts for my other JD tractors/equipment as well.

Honestly, I keep my older stuff because I don't care for most of the newer stuff you can't hardly work on because of the software. Guess that's one reason they want to trade me out of it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe I'm blind but I can't find the link or reference to whom you use or were you referring to Green Dealer? :tango_face_wink:

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,696 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts