My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been answered some time before, i couldnt find anything. My apologies if it has.

I have a jd 325 with 18 hp Kawasaki and there is about a 3-4 second delay before engine finally kills. I think there maybe a time delay module to prevent backfire but not sure. All of my grounds are good too, engine bolts tight etc. Has anybody else experienced this that may have a solution?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I just bought a used x340 with 128 hours. Does the same thing. I believe it's supposed to do that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Normal. I heard somewhere (maybe here) that the delay is built in so if you are riding over rough terrain, your seat switch doesn't kill the engine constantly. In other words, your seat switch might be going on and off, but the engine keeps on running. I'm not positive that this is the reason for the delay; but it does make sense.

:banghead3

·
10K and Climbin!
12,352 Posts
I always thought it was for anti-backfire.
I agree.. :ditto: The seat switch will kill your PTO instantly..

The delay is to close the fuel line solenoid & lower the fuel to air taken into the engine to reduce the possibility of hot parts auto-igniting at the wrong time causing all kinds of havoc & destruction of pricey engine parts..:eck16:

·
Premium Member
8,085 Posts
I thought that it was to meet EPA emissions control requirements. When you turn off the key, the fuel shutoff solenoid closes the valve from the fuel line into the carb, and then the engine runs for a few more seconds to clear the carb of any unburnt fuel, so unburnt gas fumes don't waft out through the air filter from the throat of the carb. Preventing unburnt fuel from evaporating into the atmosphere is considered part of the emissions system.

Backfire prevention doesn't seem to be the reason on my 2008 X500, as it still backfires at shutdown at least 30 to 40 percent of the time even with the delay.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I thought that it was to meet EPA emissions control requirements. When you turn off the key, the fuel shutoff solenoid closes the valve from the fuel line into the carb, and then the engine runs for a few more seconds to clear the carb of any unburnt fuel, so unburnt gas fumes don't waft out through the air filter from the throat of the carb. Preventing unburnt fuel from evaporating into the atmosphere is considered part of the emissions system.

Backfire prevention doesn't seem to be the reason on my 2008 X500, as it still backfires at shutdown at least 30 to 40 percent of the time even with the delay.
so it also doesnt allow fuel to sit in the carb either. kind of like and auto fuel shut off in the line? how far from the carb is the solenoid?

·
Premium Member
8,085 Posts
so it also doesnt allow fuel to sit in the carb either. kind of like and auto fuel shut off in the line? how far from the carb is the solenoid?
I don't have any direct experience working on one, and it might vary from model to model, but from what I've read from others it is usually attached to the carburetor itself.

·
lexmark
944 Posts
I had a 425 and had the same thoughts until i read the manual it states in there this is normal to burn off excess fuel

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the responses..I was second guessing it because my other john Deere gt's with Kawasaki engines seem to have only a 1 second delay where as this one is literally 1 Mississippi 2 Mississippi 3 Mississippi. I am content if it's normal...just seems wierd being 10 feet away from the tractor before it finally kills.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2003 gx345 does this as well. My fuel shutoff solenoid just went bad. Mine is actually a threaded bolt that holds the bowl on the bottom of the carb. $175 later and 3 days of troubleshooting, hoping something less expensive was the real problem, and I'm back up and mowing. Pretty easy repair though. Even went thru the carb to make sure it was in tip top shape.

Sent from the MTF Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts