My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start off by saying thanks once again for all the responses regarding my previous post on my 325 transmission issues.
I now have another question regarding the same mower different problem.
The lever that raises and lowers the deck is inoperable causing the deck to be stuck in the lowered position. After removing the fender tub I had access to the deck lift valve the piston was seized in the valve. I removed the valve and was able to remove the piston. The piston is in great shape it appears on the end where to the piston comes out of the valve was where the piston was stuck.
my question is has anyone ever serviced this valve as in buying the rebuild kit (60.00) versus by the new valve (300.00) I looked at the kit diagram through the JD site and compared the pieces in it to what I removed from mine ,the diagram shows 3 extra parts that I was unable to retrieve it appears to be a couple of o rings and a seal. Any help /guidance is greatly appreciated.
Stay Safe
Stay Free
KJR

·
21,702 Posts
From my reading of several posts on the topic over the years, I'm inclined to think that your problem is either dirt/sludge build-up at the end of the spool or, more likely, in the linkages for actuating the spool. if there was no debris (broken O-rings, etc) in evidence that would cause the spool to not shift, I'd be taking a hard look at the linkages.

O-rings are to keep fluid from leaking out. They do tend to wear over time and need replacement. Usual cost is less than a buck at a local auto parts store if there is no hydraulics shop handy. Seals, on the other hand, are more for keeping dirt and other contaminants out. Cost is only slightly higher than for O-rings, and availability is just as easy.

Dealers make serious $$$ on parts, especially hydraulic repair kits that contain a few O-rings and a seal or two. The dealer's price for a cylinder repair kit for my loader was $29. I got everything but the dust seal from my local hydraulics shop for less than $8. (The seal was still in fine condition.) Even better, I had all of the necessary O-rings in an O-ring assortment kit that I had purchased several years ago for less than $10, including the 4 O-rings to repair my valve set.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tudor
Thanks for your reply. All o-rings appear to be in good shape I agree with you on the sludge /dirt build up as once disconnected the linkages moved freely. Again thanks for the advice and I am off to town to visit the auto store.
Stay Safe
Stay Free
KJR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts