My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not a big Deere guy.....I can pick up a 322 for $2200.......How much better are they than 318s, or are they?.....What about attachments etc? Is it worth the money?
This one only has the 38" deck, would prefer a bit bigger.
Opinions

Attachments

·
Three of my friends
8,761 Posts
It’s a 318 with the gas version of the 332 diesel,they are stout,Pa318 likes his 322 a lot more than his old 318,all the 318 attachment will work on the 322, bigger decks are easily found.

·
Super Moderator
28,948 Posts
All implements are interchangeable between the 318 and 322, most you will have to do is buy a different belt size (snowblower). Had both a 318 and 322, the 322 yanmar 3 cylinder has a quicker governor so it doesn't bog down much and holds a more even RPM when loaded. I think the 318 had better low end grunt when not at wide open throttle. Other than the engine and the lack of oil coolers the 322 and 318 are nearly identical. BTW the 38 inch and the 50 inch decks have the best cuts of any of the decks. Can't say I was thrilled with only 3 deck wheels on the 38 in. but it did cut nice! I'm going to subscribe to this thread so if you have any questions just put them up here. There are a lot more members that can jump in and help.

·
Registered
733 Posts
A big thing with the 322 over the 318 is with the 318 you have to rebuild the Onan engine about every 1100 hours we had the same I think it's a b43g we had on the old airfoil sprayers on the farm and we were stuck rebuilding them every year and just about every thread on a 318 mentioned somewhere in it about pulling the engine out to service it meanwhile on my 322 I have over 1300 hours and have seen 322 with over four thousand hours still running strong.

( i know you Onan engine guys are going to hate me but so be it)

If given the choice I would take the 322 over the 332 or the 318

Mainly for the cold starting a bility over a diesel diesels just don't start at 40 below

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I had a 322 and the engine was like a sewing machine. The only issues reservations I have with the 322 are:

1) Some parts (like the tower side panels) are way harder to find (compared to 318/316).
2) The radiator seemed a little small.
3) I had the auto carburetor and it was a little finicky, especially with ethanol blended gasoline.
4) There is no hydro cooler (could be an issue if you use a blade/bucket) a bunch.

All in all it is a great tractor and I may own one again one day.

PS - the 38" deck cuts really nice. My dad loved his on his 318 because he had a tendency to cut a little too close to fences and liked that it did not stick out so far. The deck is also built like a tank.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
The 322 is a great little tractor that to me, improved the 318. I've never owned a 38-inch deck but I don't think you are going to find it really easy to get a bigger deck without some searching. They are becoming harder to find because the tractors are still going strong but the decks are fading thanks mostly to the terrible belt guards. Be prepared to re-build one if you find one to rebuild. There are some new production decks but they go for over $700 each.

·
Administrator
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so far for the input guys.
My sort of dilemma is that I could use a better grass cutter, my STX38 is getting fairly long in the tooth, I figure I will be lucky to get another year out of it. The 322 seems like a good alternative, maybe a little heavier duty than I need....I have my Ford LGts to do snow stuff, tilling, plowing etc........

I can also pick up a JD300 with a 46" deck, I think it is for about $1000......But it is older too, although the pics look like its in good shape.

Decisions, decisions......lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I have had 12 ?? 318 ( I don't Remember) I also had 5 ,, 322 3 332 s They are all Good Machines. The Onan, 318 Engine Mine all had Over 4000 hours on the Clock. Never Touched the Engine; The Yammers Were similar In hours, But as stated The Side Panels are about 2 Inches Longer . And Simple are Not available. Now throw a Radiator replacement In. You will see a $500.00 bill disappear, I personally Do not like the high rev. Yammers Sound.. Others Do. That is OF;;; There Might be a Reason There are 100. 318s To 1 322/332 . Bottom Line They are a good tractor. I know because Every Owner Loves Them.. ..
Life is Good..

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,694 Posts
I have had 12 ?? 318 ( I don't Remember) I also had 5 ,, 322 3 332 s They are all Good Machines. The Onan, 318 Engine Mine all had Over 4000 hours on the Clock. Never Touched the Engine; The Yammers Were similar In hours, But as stated The Side Panels are about 2 Inches Longer . And Simple are Not available. Now throw a Radiator replacement In. You will see a $500.00 bill disappear, I personally Do not like the high rev. Yammers Sound.. Others Do. That is OF;;; There Might be a Reason There are 100. 318s To 1 322/332 . Bottom Line They are a good tractor. I know because Every Owner Loves Them.. ..
Life is Good..
The 322 will run 5,000-7,000 hours if taken care of extremely well. The 332's will run 10,000 hours and 5,000 if even moderately maintained if taken very good care of. And this is based off of my personal experience as I have a 332 that within a 3 years worth of run time will have 5,000 hours and it seems to be fine for the most part and it was very poorly maintained.

The side panels are not 2" longer they the back end of the side panel (closest to the dash tower) is 2" wider on the 318 panels. So 318 panels can be trimmed to fit relatively easily. 330,322,332 panels will all work on the 322 with no modifications to the panels at all. but the 322 has two mesh screens at the front of the side panels where as the 330,332 ones do not have any screens and then the 318 has screens at the rear of the side panels.

The radiators can be rebuilt I IIRC it costs $150-200 as my 332 had it done at one point.

Now don't quote me on this but IIRC the 318 actually revs a couple hundred RPM higher the Yanmars just sound smoother. IMO they sound a million times better than any Onan. Onan's sound like any other opposed twin in a lawn mower or garden tractor where as the 3 cylinder engines sound like farm tractors.

The reason they didn't sell well was due to the fact they were special order only where as you could just walk into a dealer and buy a 316 or 318. The Yanmar powered machines were far superior to the Onan powered ones.

In fact this same logic applies to today I notice a lot more gas X7's sold than diesels.

Oh yeah and parts availability for the Yanmars is not a problem and probably never will be especially for the diesels as a crap ton of parts are shared in tons of different engines. Basically every part I need for one of my Yanmar diesels in my 332 is still being produced today. I'n fact I still see new 3TN66's for sale all the time albeit they are newer high output versions but all of the internal components are the same.

They are by far my favorite tractors Deere ever made and IMO they are the most versatile as you can run implements from 1968-2018 thats over 50 years of implements that will fit these machines and thats just from Deere so thats not including the vast aftermarket for these machines.

I know I won't be selling my 332's for a long time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Everyone has there own opinion and that fine, 20 years ago i drove 2 hours to buy a 318. The seller just happen to have a 322 for sale also. Back then i had never even heard of a 322. I tested the 318 first, one round of cutting grass. Hopped on the 322 gave it wide open throttle and engaged the mower deck and said sold. I could not believe how much quieter the 322 was. and happily paid 1000 more for it. 20 year later i still have it . 50'' deck, 49 snowblower, pto drive tiller and pto driven MCS. 2000 HRS on it and barely broke in. Yes there are 100, 318 to every 322 out there. that mostly because at the time, it was the Cadillac of garden tractors and cost 2000 more then the 318.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I am getting Confused.. 2000 hours = 10 years of service; Some are posting They Last For 5000 to 10000 Hours;
I use mine in my Businesses Different Employees Use them. In my Trade Use them Flip them. The real Money maker Is the 318. And will be For a Few more years ( I can Only speak from My Experience and Bank account ), I am Looking at the 700 series. My tractor Use can not Be compared To the Guy that Mows His yard.. Mine get used and used Hard. By some times 10 different People.. I go for dependability And Investment, And resale/trade in Value. So I guess My Opinion, and experience with the Machines Don't really count.. A guy just called me With a 332 He wanted $1200.00 For it. There is a reason for the steep price,,

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Like I said . I owned At least 5 of Them; My renters used them. I had to give them away when I up dated. The 318 Moved The 322/332 Just sat their. Now Don't Get Me wrong They are A fine Tractor; They DO NOT Fit my needs.
I have Moved up to the 425. . When Operating the Hydraulics They are fun to use. Where as the 300/332/318/322; You really need 3 Hands One for the shifter one for the steering wheel and one for the Hydraulics ... And I have used Big tractors back on the Farm and still farm 340 Acers And am quite Familiar with tractors Of all sizes and Machinery. I some times wonder Where this information is coming from... And to close I AM NOT LOYEL TO ANY PIECE of machinery . Just what Fits my needs. And I can Keep my cost down... These are Proven facts. And Fit no one but Me.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,694 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a 322 and love it and a friend has 318 and he loves his. Both a 300 series tractors with different motors. If i had the choice i would go with 322. Also.
, does anyone know where i can get a muffler for my 322?

·
10K and Climbin!
12,142 Posts
All implements are interchangeable between the 318 and 322, most you will have to do is buy a different belt size (snowblower). Had both a 318 and 322, the 322 yanmar 3 cylinder has a quicker governor so it doesn't bog down much and holds a more even RPM when loaded. I think the 318 had better low end grunt when not at wide open throttle. Other than the engine and the lack of oil coolers the 322 and 318 are nearly identical. BTW the 38 inch and the 50 inch decks have the best cuts of any of the decks. Can't say I was thrilled with only 3 deck wheels on the 38 in. but it did cut nice! I'm going to subscribe to this thread so if you have any questions just put them up here. There are a lot more members that can jump in and help.
Stay away from the 46" decks!!!! :Disgus:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts