My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I've posted here before about an on going issue I have with my repowered tractor in cold temps . I have yet to fix this surging stalling issue that seems like I'm running out of fuel.

With the tractor runnning I pulled the fuel in going to the carb to test the vacuum flow. At low to mid Rpms fuel delivery flow seems great. But when I open up the throttle to full the fuel flow is almost choked down to nothing. What would cause my vacuum pump to operate like this? I replaced the vacuum pump with a new one no difference. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,830 Posts
Not remembering everything from your last post, but one would be to check the pickup lines in the tank, see if screens are in place and not being clogged so cleaning out tank would be good start. I normally do this once a year by putting a blue shop towel lining a funnel and pouring tank gas back into 5 gallon can straining it in the lined funnel. Amazing how much crap gets in them. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not remembering everything from your last post, but one would be to check the pickup lines in the tank, see if screens are in place and not being clogged so cleaning out tank would be good start. I normally do this once a year by putting a blue shop towel lining a funnel and pouring tank gas back into 5 gallon can straining it in the lined funnel. Amazing how much crap gets in them. Good luck!

Hey i removed all that stuff in the tank now it's just a hose no screen and I rely on the single paper filter before the pump to keep the fuel clean. To simplify the fuel delivery system I have only one fuel line running from the tank to the vacuum pump no shut offs or reserve fuel lines. If I pull the fuel line at the vac snd put it below the elevation of tank tones of flow no restriction there. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only thing I can think of is that the crankcase line to the vacuum pump is leaking and not providing pulses as needed.
Ok I did replace the line recently thinking it may of been cracked or worn. Could I pull the line and test the suction what would be the " of mercury or whatever thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I was a kid, we had an old Pontiac with windshield wipers that operated on vacuum. When accelerating the wipers stopped wiping. It seems you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I went with electric pumps on almost all of my 318's just to eliminate that issue. They work great and the engine starts quicker and easier. You can add one and not remove the pulse pump if you do not want to while you are testing the electric pump to see if it helps. BTW, I always bought the $25 model on eBay that came with all of the little hoses and fittings. I had no problem with them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey guys so I’m embarrassed to say this whole my problem has been too much oil in the engine. I checked the dipstick and saw it was pretty high. Probably overfilled it’s 2 years ago when I changed the oil. I drained about 3/4 of a quart to bring it to the proper level and the tractor works fantastic. I’ve used it about 1 week now and no issues at all. The over filled oil level must of effected crank case vacuum which then effected the vacuum fuel pump so I was always starving for fuel. Don’t ask me why it worked fine in the summer because I don’t know. But my tractor is fixed........

·
Registered
36 Posts
If your float needle is leaking, the extra oil may be gasoline. You are overdue for an oil change anyway, so get that oil out of there. If it is gas, the smell should be obvious.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Extra thanks for posting the outcome. That is what really helps you and the entire site. THANK YOU!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts