My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
They are completely different tillers. Horizontal vs vertical engines, completely different trannies. Tillers are pretty expensive for the 300 series.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
If you are good at fabing work then almost any tiller can be made to work.

That said the two official tillers for the 318 is the 30 inch hydro tiller. Options are a 12 inch extension and choice of belly drive from the mule drive or rear drive from a dual belt PTO. You can also buy Jim Briney's 3 point mount for the JD 30 hydro tiller if you only want to use the 3 point parts on the tractor-otherwise you need to also use the mounts for the tiller on the tractor as well.

The other tiller is the JD 48 tiller which is mechanical driven and needs the 2000 RPM rear PTO and it has no option but to use the rear 3 point to mount.

Another plus of the 30 hydro tiller is you can turn the tiller around and tine rotation can be flipped depending on soil types. In hard or virgin soil reverse till is what the manual says (in a nut shell anyways). I think the reason is and Hammer down will confirm-hit something hard and it has the power to propell the tractor forward so reversed the tractor is dragging the tiller vs. being pushed by it.

The other option is you get a cheaper deticated rig with tiller on it as you can buy an older tiller/tractor combo for what a 48 and/or 30 hydro sometimes sells for. But you really can't beat the soil prep that at least the 30 hydro does (haven't seen a 48 tiller work yet).

·
Deceased April 2016
1,225 Posts
If you are good at fabing work then almost any tiller can be made to work.

That said the two official tillers for the 318 is the 30 inch hydro tiller. Options are a 12 inch extension and choice of belly drive from the mule drive or rear drive from a dual belt PTO. You can also buy Jim Briney's 3 point mount for the JD 30 hydro tiller if you only want to use the 3 point parts on the tractor-otherwise you need to also use the mounts for the tiller on the tractor as well.

The other tiller is the JD 48 tiller which is mechanical driven and needs the 2000 RPM rear PTO and it has no option but to use the rear 3 point to mount.

Another plus of the 30 hydro tiller is you can turn the tiller around and tine rotation can be flipped depending on soil types. In hard or virgin soil reverse till is what the manual says (in a nut shell anyways). I think the reason is and Hammer down will confirm-hit something hard and it has the power to propell the tractor forward so reversed the tractor is dragging the tiller vs. being pushed by it.

The other option is you get a cheaper deticated rig with tiller on it as you can buy an older tiller/tractor combo for what a 48 and/or 30 hydro sometimes sells for. But you really can't beat the soil prep that at least the 30 hydro does (haven't seen a 48 tiller work yet).
the hydro is the way to go. a lot easier on the tractor.
Hello Luke
I have had the model 33 Tiller used on the Older John Deere Model 140 Tractor's as well as my model 30 Hydraulic tiller that I have and use now. I can tell you that there is No comparison between the two tillers. The Model 33 is much lighter and does not dig as fierce or complete as the model 30 tiller. That said the Model 33 tiller's are relatively reasonable but do Not expect the final result's that can be had by using the Model 30 tiller. I sold my Vintage John Deere 140 and 33 tiller to fund the Model 30 tiller that I found for my 318. I located it in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and it was a 1200 Mile round trip to go after it that I made in 21 hours time round trip. I watched intently for one to Pop up for sale in Tennessee for Three year's to no avail, so when I Located this one on Craig's list in that area I called the owner of it and told him I would be there in Twelve hour's or less to pay for it. I gave $750.00 for mine and did not try to haggle on it as I said, they do not come up often and his price was a Lower average for one in the shape that his was. The few that I saw before buying this one had their tiller tines heavily worn, or were rusty looking for about the same price, so I was thrilled to locate this one as it had very little tilling time on it & the tines were still like new when I bought it a couple of year's ago.

Once I got it home I awoke the next Morning chomping at the Bit to Test it out. I had been warned to run it in reverse tine rotation when tilling fresh virgin soil. It came to me in forward rotation so that is where I left it when I mounted it on my 1983 John Deere 318 tractor. It was set up to be used without a three point hitch. That meant it had bracket's for mounting the tiller that had to be bolted directly to my existing rear rock shaft. The lower bracket's are bolted to the lower area of the Tractor rear end housing and under the tractor's hitch area. When Mounted the tiller slip's into the lower bracket's and is held in place with a swinging outer lower attachment bbracket that is notched out to surround the lower 3/4" round tiller stub shaft. The upper portion is held in place & Lifted with sliding U-shaped bracket's that can be seen in my pictures. It is driven off of a Hydraulic belly pump that is mounted directly behind the front rear wheels it's pump assembly bracket hooks into place with a set of spring loaded pin's that are mounted on the belly pump's heavy duty bracket housing. There is a Torque rod that extend's forward and hooks into the Tractor's front sub frame & held in place with a spring clip. You would use your Mower mule drive to run the belly pump and your same belt used to mow grass with. Once I became familiar with how it hooks up it takes me less than 5 Minutes to hitch up the tiller to the tractor. I like this set up as you do not need a three point hitch nor do you need a rear mounted PTO to run it. The tiller can be used with a three point hitch and rear PTO if your Tractor has those feature's but mine does not and that option of hooking it up like that would have cost me an additional $850.00 on average.

I got it all hooked up and headed to an area close to the side of my garage that needed some tilling. I dropped the tiller and hit the electric PTO and it came to life. it dropped down instantly into the ground and began tilling a depth of about 6" on it's first pass. I must say, I was Impressed so far as my old model 33 tiller would have been Dancing up and down and lucky to be cutting down 2" on it's first pass of tilling depth. All was going well until I got toward's the rear area of my Garage. There it found a Tree root and it hooked hard into the rotating tine shaft. Sudenely, The Tractor Pole Vaulted into the air bringing the front wheels about 6" Off the ground and moved violently forward at the speed of the tiller tine's. I was able to stop it by pressing both brakes hard which stopped the tractor and disengaged the PTO as the Tractor's safety feature, I was glad to get it Gathered back up so quickly. I must say though, that I was Very surprised and shocked at how fierce this tiller really was, nothing like what I saw come out of my Model 33 tiller. It only took me three Passes in the rock hard Virgin soil to have a 10" Deep seed bed as finely Tilled as coffee grounds. Total time of tilling the area I tested with it was less than Ten Minute's. If I had been using my pervious Model 33 tiller that was on my old 140 Tractor it would have Taken me well over an hour and I would not have gotten the result's depth wise nor finely tilled dirt wise. My advice to you would be to Save your Pennies and locate a tiller that is worth pursuing as the model 30 tiller is. Mine has the Optional 12" tine extension so it's tilling width is a full 42". I hope this helps, Hammerdown

Here is my Old John Deere 140 with the 33 tiller mounted on it

Here is my New to me Model 30 Hydraulic tiller mounted on my restored 1983 John Deere 318

·
JD 318 425
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info guys its been very helpfull ive been keeping an eye out for a hydro tiller for a while just think if this one would work it would give me something to play with but i think ill hold out fpr the hydro i have a 87 318 with a 3 point what all is available for it?

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
There are a ton of Cat 0 implements available, plows, rakes, forklift, weight bar, brush hogs, etc. etc. etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.