My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm planning to get my 318 ready to plow snow for this winter. As of right now i have for the tractor are regular turf tires and a 48" mowing deck. I just bought a pair of used rusty rims on Ebay. I plan to paint them and mount ag tires on them and fill them with washer fluid. The reason for doing this is simply for ease of changing the tires and to avoid extra wear and tear on the original rims What are the biggest tires i can fit on the stock rims and which ag tires have the most bite?

I also plan to buy wheel weights and a 3 point hitch. I am having trouble deciding whether to buy a front snowplow with the dual hydraulic adjustment or a rear snowplow to fit the 3 point hitch. I don't know how the tractor would do with a rear plow. I have read many forums and have not seen anyone with a 3 point plow on a tractor this small. Does anybody have any knowledge, suggestions and or pictures on this topic? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Curt

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Curt,
Glockem and Midnitetr8n have 26x12-12 on their 318s, but they use a 10.5 inch wide rim. Our stock rims are either 8" or 8.5", so the big tires woudl crown over.

I have stock sized Carlisle tru-powers on my 318. They work just fine in the snow at 5-8 psi. I have a 70lb wheel weight on each side and about 240lbs on the 3PH (which you need to buy anyway).

Last year I used my OR-Bilt FEL and had plenty of traction. I do plan to get some 2-link space chains this year in case we have ice.

I've also picked up a power angle plow, so I'll give a report on that as well this year.

You do know that you will need the optional lockout valve to keep the power angle from drifting?

·
Tractor Nut
550 Posts
For snow, my preference is the front blade because I like to plow my snow facing forward. With a rear blade, in deeper snows, you lose traction when you plow forward because your wheels are in unplowed snow. You could plow backwards, but it's just not comfortable (for me, at least).

·
Super Moderator
16,490 Posts
Don't have a 318 But have plowed in the past with a rear blade on My current deere Workhorse my X485 it does a Good job But I would go with a front blade if i were you Because your draging the snow between the blade and tractor at least in my case it just easier to manage the snow with a front blade Because you can angle the blade from the drivers seat Push it into the piles you want. See when I plow The first Plow I do is down the middle of the drive I usually keep the plow straight and then angle either direction on the other passes depending on which way I go. The rear blade is great for clearing snow in front of the grarage door in my case. But in long run I have just found managing the snow is easier with the Front Blade Because you have more control with it than a rear Blade.:thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
32,656 Posts
Front blades (especially power angle) work much better than rear blades. I have Carlisle Super Lugs on 10 inch rims Stock height though (23 inches) and last year I just had 50 lbs on each tire. I've loaded them this year with fluid and hope to have a few suitcase weights to add some more weight by winter!

·
Addictionado
97 Posts
Front blade is best, in addition to angle you have down pressure and float you can add your liquid balast, wheel weights, chains and rear weights. Rear blade is still useful but no down pressure and only position control. IMHO plowing in reverse is a lot harder on the neck after a while. You may need to add skid shoes to the rear blade, they are standard on the front one. You can add an angle cylinder to the rear blade but it will cost and you will want to be able to switch it when you are plowing in reverse.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I just sold this blade because like everyone else is saying it's just not as useful. You'd be lucky to find a used one and a new one is the same price as a used front blade. And you will need the hitch because you've got a tractor there not just a mower and the three point will bring it to life. Enjoy it.

Attachments

·
Addictionado
97 Posts
Thanks CP7 for saying not AS USEFUL there are still uses for a 3point hitch rear blade on a 318.
I had one but traded it straight up for a homemade version of a Superior Scoop.
So now I am keeping an eye out for another!
Curt since you have brought up the subject of snow removal(in July!)have you considered a thrower or blower? There are lots of pros and cons there also depending on your purposes

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay that does make pretty good sense. That would get old after awhile if i had to be turned around the whole time. So do i need the lockout valve for the front blade or is it just nice to have? Is it hard or expensive to get?

And about the snowblowing i already have that taken care of with my case 446! I like both of these tractors so much i wanted to make use of both of them. The case has a mowing deck (which i never use), front blade, and a snowblower. For a few years that was our only snow removal tractor but now i want to make use of the 318 too. I figured i would use the deere for the smaller snows and the case for when it gets deep.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Hey Curt
I have both and like to leave the rear blade on for 2 reasons. One is for the added traction when plowing with the front blade and then afterwards it is nice to put the rear blade down just to "dress" what I have just finished clearing. With the rear blade on, AG tires and chains I can push snow almost to the top of my front blade.
Any ways whatever method you choose after a while of using it / them you will find out what works best for you and is the most amount of "fun" ..... er least amount of "work".
Happy blading

·
Addictionado
97 Posts
Here is where i purchased my valve from. It threaded into the mower deck/3point hitch hydraulic cylinder and was a bit of a PITA to install(I think it was because it threads in on an angle) http://www.aux-hyd.com/

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay thanks i found that store on ebay earlier too. Does it basically keep the rear hydraulic cylinder from working so it doesn't interfere with the plow operation? Will i have to take it back off to use the rear hydraulics again? I'm confused lol

·
Addictionado
97 Posts
Curt ...yes and no! yes it stops the rear hydraulic cylinder from working and no you don't have to remove the valve just open to use cylinder as per normal and close it when you use your front blade.
Just so you know Curt you do not have to have a valve. If you don't you have to wait for the 2 cylinders (rear hydraulic cylinder and blade angle cylinder) to extend or retract each time you angle your blade from left to right this is because they are sharing the same hydraulic circuit.
Sure hope I haven't muddied things up more for you

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
From my experience the ultimate set-up is a front snowblower with a rear blade, this way you have the best of both world. :D

If you are interest to see my last year rear blade in action click the link in my signature.

I'm presently building a second rear blade for next winter also, here the thread Click Here :fing32:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks MF135 that did clear it up lol. And it would be awesome to have a snowblower and rear blade. I think ill just stick with the front blade for now cause my pockets aren't that deep haha. Also i have a used power flow bagger unit, complete with the powerflow dumpcart with swivel wheels and the pipe to connect it. How much cash do you think there items would bring?

·
Addictionado
97 Posts
Well...if it is the MC519 cart and you are including the mounting bracket for the rear hitch the double sheive pulley and the PowerFlo and attaching pieces from the mower deck and depending on condition of all those parts $400-600. But how are you going to pickup all your leaves this fall (man did I just say fall?)

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
I'm with everyone else. Front mount. I perfer a ballast box for weight because it doesn't stick out do far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow not too bad, I'm pretty sure it has all the parts the only thing is that the blower is a little banged up but it still works. And i have one tree in my yard so it's no big deal haha. That bagger hasn't been used for about 8 years when it belonged to my grandfather, everything else is in great shape. And by the way esnb74, nice 318! Did you make a thread about that rebuild??

·
Citizen of Earth
15,295 Posts
I've used a 1978 316 with a front blade and not having the lockout valve just means that the power angle works slower while the extra (rear) cylinder operates. Up to you if it's worth the cost, I've gotten along fine with out it for 31 years. I too say the front blade would be more usefull in snow than the rear blade and more user friendly not having to be twisted around looking backwards.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts