My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a starter on my 318 p218g motor and it is making some awefull noises it seems when starting. At first I thought the spacing of the flywheel to the gear on the starter must need adjustment but i didnt see any way to adjust the starter. I can deal with the noise if everything is okay I just dont want to ruin my flywheel and new starter gear. I have included a video in hopes some one could tell me if everything looks normal or not and if not how to fix it thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
From your video, it appears that the starter gear is the wrong size as the teeth aren't meshing very well. That starter gear is made of nylon which is much softer than the steel flywheel. Was the starter specifically made for your tractor? The starter gears are available at some auto parts stores.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Not exactly! It's just that while there is usually nothing wrong with aftermarket parts, the quality control just sometimes isn't there. The starter gear is quite easy to replace, often held on by just a C-clip.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
That sure looks like a mis matched starter with too much room between the starter gear and the flywheel gear teeth.
If you have the old starter, carefully compare the two, you may find that they are not the same. Perhaps the starter shaft's center is too far outboard, or the starter's gear is too small.

It is hard to tell from the video, but it almost looked like the starter gear was shifting when engaged, like the starter was loose or its bushing was not in place? But that could be just an optical illusion.

My bet would be that the starter is not correctly sized for your application. Check against the old starter and the engine, you will likely find something isn't right, or the new starter has a awful lot of slop in it.
  • Check starter shaft center line to flywheel measurement.
  • Check starter gear diameter
  • Check starter gear vertical travel, ie up and down its shaft from fully engaged to fully released.
  • Check starter gear thickness as compared to old starter.
  • Check that the new starter has good fit to its mounting surfaces, does it "feel" the same as when remounting the old one?
  • Check the starter shafts bushing, the one in it's "nose".. is it a good solid fit with not appreciable slop?
Good luck, and please don't forget to let us know what you are able to find out.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
After another 3 views of your video, it seems to show the starter gear is not remaining fully engaged during the cranking, partially withdrawing on each turn of the flywheel. Said another way, the starter gear is "floating up and down" while the flywheel remains steady in its horizontal plane. Weak starter gear engagement spring? This is sort of a puzzle....:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you both for the feedback I will be pulling the starter in the future unfortunately I wont be abled to for quite some time as i work out of town and dont get much time in the on season of work but I will check all the dimensions. I found the original starter so once I pull the engine I will pull the starter and compare. I will respond back with my findings as soon as I get it figured out thanks agin for all the help.

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Why did you change the original starter to begin with?...It is definitely the wrong gear on the starter motor...I hope Flaken is correct and that the gear is nylon

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
I have never seen a nylon gear in that application. I agree with previous poster it seems to be moving away from the ring gear. One of the common problems with the starter mount on the p218 is the place where the starter mounts to the engine cracks allowing the starter to move. I had this problem. Solution is to replace the oil pan with one from a b43g and then get a starter for that model. That starter mounts to the oil pan and not the block. You will also need to get an external solenoid if you need to go that way. Take a close look at the mounting holes on the block.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts