My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to order Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black paint and debating on if I should order the Gloss or the Satin Black. Anyone know what the John Deere 318 frame originally would have been?

I am told that the Gloss Black Paint from Eastwood is an 85% gloss versus the Satin is a 60-70% gloss.

Also, I am planning on getting either the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator or the Eastwood Extreme Chassis Primer.

Any suggestions would be great. I am planning on just spraying the frame with the Aerosol and spray really thin layers to prevent runs. Hopefully will look nice :)

Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black Paint
http://www.eastwood.com/extreme-chasis-black-satin-finish-set.html

Eastwood Extreme Chassis Primer
http://www.eastwood.com/extreme-chassis-black-primer-set.html

Eastwood Rust Encapsulator
http://www.eastwood.com/rust-encapsulator-27777.html

·
Registered
182 Posts
i just did the front steel bumper on my 245 tractor in black satin ,
it didn't look good so i repainted it in gloss black:thThumbsU

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am trying to get as close to original as possible. I know 420GHL used the Eastwood Black and I am trying to figure out if he used gloss or the satin?

·
John Deere 316 Onan
875 Posts
The factory color is not gloss, that much I know.

Here is my mint factory painted 316 frame.

·
Three of my friends
9,009 Posts
Hammargen,JD Blitz is as good as Eastwoods paint and it is gas proof (I know)and it is satin black,a lot of hot rodders now use Blitz BLACK.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
I used the same product (Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black) on my 318 frame. Satin is what I used & looks great, lasts great, and is the only product I will use in the future. I've seen some frames done in gloss black and it just didn't look good at all. IMO... you want the green to stand out, not the black frame.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I have repainted five JD's and used Rustolem semi-gloss on all of them and it was very close to the factory paint. It is not satin nor flat but similar to the Eastwood over priced auto semi-gloss black. At $4.95 a can it is a good product and is compatible with the OEM paint and does not require a primer. I have used it on newer models such as the 445 and older models as the 317. It gives a uniform look that does not scream flashy or highlight areas that were not meant to be highlighted such as the frame. On the other hand it is not the flat which makes your JD look like a BBQ pit.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The satin chassis black is more of a semi-gloss. It is not a totally flat or satin, like the blitz black is. Those that recommend one over the other, both are excellent choices. I have seen both, it's best to use what you have in the budget. Those of us with pro HVLP guns and access to a shop can get a slightly more professional appearance, but nothing is a substitute for experience. I went above and beyond what JD sprayed in the first place. Their original spray was good, but better exists.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I went with the blitz black when I did mine and loved the results. When it comes to any kind of equipment, if its not really I finish area say like the fender pan and tins, I try to stay as flat as possible. Heres my frame after it was painted.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
All great products that I used for years with awesome results.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts