My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems getting gas to the carburator. I took the top off the carburator and cleaned all the junk out of it and filled it back up and the float seemed to work fine, The mower will run for a little bit then die. I took the top of the carb off again and it was dry again. What could I be doing wrong with the float and needle.

·
Super Moderator
13,359 Posts
Is the fuel pump working correctly?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it is not the best but it is working by pumping fuel, the problem just started when I took the carb apart and cleaned it. Not sure what I could have did wrong by putting the needle and float back in.

·
Super Moderator
33,612 Posts
If you disassembled the carb completely there is a point when you place the needle valve back it you need to snap it into the float mechanism so it can raise and lower the needle valve. Take a good look at the float and notice it has a set of arms where the needle valve slips into. If it isn't mounted correctly you get the issue you are having.

·
Super Moderator
13,359 Posts
If you disassembled the carb completely there is a point when you place the needle valve back it you need to snap it into the float mechanism so it can raise and lower the needle valve. Take a good look at the float and notice it has a set of arms where the needle valve slips into. If it isn't mounted correctly you get the issue you are having.
That would be my guess. Sorry, I do not have any pictures of this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As always you guys are right it is the little things you miss when you get in a hurry putting things back together. My next question is the reason i was taking it apart is that it was running really rough and had to be choked in order to smooth out. When I fixed the float I ran it for about 10 mins and seemed to run good but not sure if it is a premeant fix. Any suggestions on any other things that could cause this.

·
the mad scientist
304 Posts
A piece of dirt in the idle circuit or main jet would cause it, and it is possible to put the float and needle valve in wrong, the only running on choke issue sounds like there is a boogie in there somewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts