My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's a bummer there isn't room for the Kubota D640 three cylinder and radiator. This 317 is a heavy tank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So I was able to remove the original Kohler. I had not closely inspected the new Kohler Command 18. It had sat for so long in the barn but I know it was freshly rebuilt. It appears to be from a pump so that it is backwards layout for a tractor. It doesn't seem to work or it would spin backwards. Can anyone confirm if I have this wrong? Now I am back to considering the Kubota D640. thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
It's a pretty rare engine that spins the wrong way. If you are really concerned about it, I would suggest hooking up a battery to the starter and cranking it over briefly to verify which way it goes.

·
4,139 Posts
As you are sitting in the drivers seat you want it to spin clockwise...as dave_F said just use some booster cables and a battery and check it out

·
Registered
13 Posts
  • I have a Kohler Command 18hp with electric start that has been mine for 15 years. It runs well and doesn't smoke. I used it in a pressure washer after paying to have it rebuilt.
Okay I'll bite. You have an 18 horsepower pressure washer. How much pressure does that put out? That's what caught my eye.
now I can't concentrate about anything else. That's pretty normal for me though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi Dave and Mark. this is good information. Great and very helpful. I'll try exactly what you suggest.

Scott p 1951: the 18hp pressure washer and a fresh water pump would blast 4000psi at 5-6 gpm. it would dig a hole in concrete or brick the size of a quarter. We have since upgraded to a different style machine. So this Kohler Command is a spare with a oil flter that is very well maintained.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So I have years experience with auto and truck restorations. But I am not sure how the front PTO works if I swap the Kohler Command 18 which connects the PTO shaft in the rear. The front of the Kohler doesn't show a way to connect the front PTO. That would eliminate the front snow blower and mowing option? thanks

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
If the original motor had a pto off the "front" of the motor, then you'd want to do the same for your replacement engine.

Maybe see if Kohler has a front pto "part" [I can't think of the right word for this], or, if you have the skills and equipment (or pay someone to do it), you could fab up something that bolts up to the front of the crankshaft as a pto.

Note, if you do it yourself, you need to retain the fan, so the engine is cooled. And, of course, you need to make sure the pto is exactly centered on the crankshaft and parallel to it, otherwise you'll get vibrations on the pulley (and most likely it will eventually fail).

·
Registered
227 Posts
I suspect the engine turns the right way. The side with the pulley would be the front of the engine. I see four open bolt holes on the engine behind/around the pulley. Those holes tell me that you should be able to mount a PTO clutch. You might be better off with an aftermarket clutch. Keeping the original often requires an adapter - is the kohler driveshaft the same diameter as the original engine?.

You will also probably need an adapter for the back end (fan side) of the crankshaft - to mount your driveshaft to.

In doing these swaps, the other thing you should do is to rework the metal on the firewall. The big hole thru the firewall mounts(seals) directly up against the engine. This is important because it forces the engine to get all of the cooling air from the belly screen area of the tractor (belly screen keeps a lot of debris from getting into the engine and clogging up air flow/cooling.

Also check the height of the pulley (driveshaft) compared to the original engine. If you want to use original attachments (mull drive/mower deck), you want the engine pulley at the same height or you need to find different length belts.

my 2 cents of things to consider

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I probably have not had enough coffee to run at the level of you guys. Thanks for the information and replies. I did save the front PTO on the KT17 so it can be retained and used if possible. I appreciate the guidance on making sure it is level. From what I can gather from these posts is that the fan side needs an adapter to connect to the PTO shaft which are amazingly the same size. Both engines have a 1" shaft. I saved the metal trim that surrounded the front PTO and the front PTO also. So If I had a adapter made on the fan side it needs to retain the fan for cooling purposes. Which makes sense. I chose this engine over some lower HP 16 Onan twin and a Kubota D640 diesel as I thought it would be easier to make everything work. I will admit the suggestion for the firewall mod's baffle me. I always thought the firewall was what the steering wheel went through? Thanks a ton.

·
Registered
227 Posts
On cars or tractors...the firewall is the sheetmetal directly behind the engine (it separates the engine from the driver in the event of a fire). On cars, the steering column also goes through this.

·
Registered
864 Posts
The flywheel side needs an adapter for the driveshaft. The existing pulleys need to be removed for the PTO. Remove the old Kohler flywheel adapter like somone posted to see if it fits. If not there might be companies that make adapters. There are many repower threads here and at Weekend Freedom Machines forum to search that may help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The flywheel side needs an adapter for the driveshaft. The existing pulleys need to be removed for the PTO. Remove the old Kohler flywheel adapter like somone posted to see if it fits. If not there might be companies that make adapters. There are many repower threads here and at Weekend Freedom Machines forum to search that may help.
thanks a ton Merc1973. this is a helpful summary. I'll do it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
thanks a ton Merc1973. this is a helpful summary. I'll do it.
Just need to cut a large hole thru the plastic flywheel screen for the stub adapter.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts