My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I wrote on here back in the spring about my 316 having a problem with sputter and trying to stall. I fixed that the fuel pump was bad had fuel on the diaphragm side. My problem now is if its sits for a couple weeks and especially if it starts to get cold out it will crank forever before it will start. It will eventually go but can take a couple mins at times to start. Once it starts it fine and will be good for the rest of the day runs mint. If it only sits for a few days up to a week will still start ok. It had an Onan engine in it. Any help would be great thanks guys

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Have you put new plugs and points in it? If it even has points? Some Onan are electronic ign. Does it havea fuel shut off ? Battery up and is it good? Spark Plug wire or wires ok? Fresh oil change? Used oil is a little harder to get a motor to turn over fast enough to fire sometimes. Other then these few items havent a clue to help..........Gary

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gary it does have new plugs in it the wires are original so probably should be replaced. Where are the points not sure of it has them. I am going to change the oil it has not been changed since the spring but I do not mow a huge lawn maybe only has 15 hours on it. Battery is good cranks over strong so not really sure where to go at this point

·
Three of my friends
9,000 Posts
Sounds like fuel problem,next time pull the fuel line off the (output port),put it in a container and crank the motor over with the plug wires pulled and see if it is getting fuel,might be a cracked line?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I have been meaning to replace the fuel lines they look pretty cracked and old. since I put the new fuel pump on it has been getting fuel alot better. Have not checked though after it has sat for awhile.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts