My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a John Deere 316 that just doesn't seem to be running right. The problem is this. It takes a little bit to start. When it does start, it runs good, in low throttle. As soon as you kick it up, it takes a little bit to catch up, but then seems to run good. A little rough, but good. As soon as you start to drive, it bogs down and dies. It doesn't do it if you are moving at a snails pace, but if you you are driving anywhere over 3 mph, it will die. As soon as you engage the PTO, it really goes nuts and you can't move at all or it will die. I rebuilt the carburetor, checked the fuel pump (diaghragm type) and checked spark. The left side seems to have a weak spark, but still gets spark. I tried looking up a compression guide for the "B" series engine and it says there should be a minimum 100 p.s.i per cylinder. I'm getting a reading of about 90 p.s.i. . Would that make this thing run that bad? If anyone has any ideas, please help!!!! I'm racked here:00000060: Thank You!!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome ot the forum. Have you ever decarboned the head, pistons and valves?

Also that one weak spark could be a bad plug or wire. Easy enough to switch them around to troubleshoot.

90 PSI is a bit low, but not horrible.

After getting that one weak spark fixed, try some SeaFoam in all 3 ends and see if it help. That stuff helps decarbon the engine if you dump it down the carb switch the engine off and let it sit for 15 minutes. It cleans the carb if you put it in the tank, and can help free stuck rings if you put it in the oil.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts