My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Hey folks! First of all..... Thanks to all for the advice, clues and guidance! I got the valves a few weeks back..... Just found the time to do the labor a few days ago. Got her back together, turned the key..... And.... She purrs like a kitten! Runs very good! Now i have a new issue, though! When i engage the pto..... The motor dies. I can drive this thing a hundred miles and she runs smooth..... But every time i engage the pto..... She dies. What did i screw up?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Could be loose/bad wiring connection, bad pto switch, bad seat switch, or a bad pto coil.

Disconnect wire from pto coil. Start engine and engage pto switch. If engine runs, bad pto coil. If engine stalls, probably (??) pto switch or seat switch. If you've got the original pto switch, I'd change it anyhow...about $35 at dealer.

To verify pto coil is bad: connect meter, ser to ohms, to wire coming from pto coil. connect/touch other meter lead to ground. I good coil will read 4 ohms, a bad coil will read 3.5 ohms or less. IF you removed pto in your repairs, it's possible you crimped/crushed the pto coil wire! It's been done before...many times! check things out and report back, Bob

61 - 62 of 62 Posts