My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JD 314 kohler k321 motor..... Died while mowing..... Will not start now. Seems like it wants to, but won't. I have thrown darn near everything at it..... New fuel pump, carb, ignition switch, pto switch, coil, points, condensor.... Well.... I'm getting spark, I'm getting fuel.... Just not getting the old girl to run! Any help?

·
5,857 Posts
Hi Fleece...welcome to MTF

Please stop in at Introductions it is our introduction forum...tell us a little about yourself..and your equipment...check the air filter...
You say you have spark...did you use an in line tester...or ground out the plug?...you may be getting spark...but too weak to get 'er cranked up...I don't see a new spark plug in your list of replacments.....at this point that is what I would try....if still no start...you need fuel and air, spark and compression .....so next step might be leak down or compression test

·
Parts collector
3,491 Posts
welcome to MTF! I agree with above spark plug.

·
Three of my friends
8,883 Posts
Sheared flywheel key will cause the issue.

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Three of my friends
8,883 Posts
Does the motor spin over fast when cranking it,does it seem to spin over faster than usual,? May have a stuck valve.
pull the cover off the valve adjustment and assure the valves are moving.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the motor spin over fast when cranking it,does it seem to spin over faster than usual,? May have a stuck valve.
pull the cover off the valve adjustment and assure the valves are moving.
Sorry..... Forgot to mention that i also made sure that the valves were functioning and gapped correctly!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will it fire if you put some gas down the throttle?
By "fire".... If you mean start.... No. I am getting spark. I am getting fuel. It gets to the point that it sounds like it will start, then nothing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What they said...did you run over anything or hear any noise when it occurred?
Mark.... I have put a new plug in. New coil. New ignition switch. New carb. New fuel pump. New air cleaner. New points. New condensor. Checked for valve seizure. Checked gap on valves and new points. Turned over engine with plug out...... Plenty of spark and compression seems good. Fuel pressure is waaaay good, as the carb bowl gets full to the point that it drips out. As far as the flywheel...... I'm not sure what to look for. Also, i have not messed with the factory settings on the new carb. Feels like good pressure coming from the exhaust as i crank it......

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Could be you're getting TOO MUCH FUEL! You may (???) have had debris somewhere in fuel line. Debris traveled thru and is now caught under needle valve for float. Dismantle carb & inspect for something small in the seat area. Also, pull plug after cranking...no choke. Does it look wet will fuel?

·
Three of my friends
8,883 Posts
To check the flywheel you will need to remove the screen that covers the flywheel,Theres a big nut that you have to remove,you might be able to look at slot for the key on the crank and slot for the FW and if they dont line up,it’s broke.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To check the flywheel you will need to remove the screen that covers the flywheel,Theres a big nut that you have to remove,you might be able to look at slot for the key on the crank and slot for the FW and if they dont line up,it’s broke.
Jim.... I am able to look into the hole on the side of the picture I'm attaching. There doesn't seem to be an issue and i have turned it completely.

·
Premium Member
4,149 Posts
Is there something that normally plugs that hole when the engine is fully assembled? If not, you should plug that hole, as the purpose of that shroud is to direct air from the fan so it goes over the fins on the head. That hole looks like it will significantly reduce that airflow, causing the engine to run hotter than normal...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts