My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My John Deere 265 recently started smoking and then experienced the mower blades no longer working anymore. Upon closer inspection it appears the main drive belt burnt and/or broke off. Also, while looking at the belt I realized that there was a spring dangling near the mower deck that appears to have one end broken (perhaps this is related to the belt problem). There is a picture attached. Can someone help me identify what this spring is used for and what the part number is, so that I can try to replace it?

I believe this forum post will help me figure out how to replace the drive belt: link.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,116 Posts
Is yours the 46" mower? If so, that broken spring is likely #21 in the diagram below from the JD Parts site...

That's the Extension Spring, JD PN M44810. You may want to replace that, then you'll need to see whether anything else has been ratched by it breaking....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi littletractorguy and thanks for your time. It does indeed have a 46 inch mower deck. That extension spring does seem like a likely candidate, but it doesn't quite look like whats in the exploded diagram (but perhaps that is common?). Any idea where the other end of the spring connects to?

·
14,116 Posts
Not really sure where it would attach, as the parts diagrams don't really show how things connect, and I don't have an actual picture of your 46" deck. But looking at the parts detail of the deck, I'd make a totally wild guess that it perhaps would connect to the small hole on your left-hand rear draft arm mount...

Again, that's a total guess. Hopefully someone with a 265 and the 46" deck will be along to chime in whether that's right or wrong.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It attaches to the thin metal rod that attaches to the arm that releases the tension on the deck. At least I think it does.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh, and you don't have to take the PTO off to put the drive belt on, just take off the fender pan, and take the fan off the top of the transmission and the belt will go on with just a tiny bit of prying with a screwdriver. You don't have to unbolt those belt guides under the tractor either, you can slip the belt through them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks themoose. I ordered the extension spring M44810, though the exploded drawing of it doesn't quite look like the spring you have in your picture. I will give it a shot when it arrives. And thanks for the information on the drive belt, hopefully that helps me out this weekend if I get the parts by then.

·
14,116 Posts
Themoose's spring IS different there than what JD parts shows... So now I'm worried that the deck shown in JD parts for the 265 may not be the one you have, Jedi. I better go back and double check. My apologies if I've inadvertently led you astray there!

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
209 Posts
My pics aren't too good but I just went out and snapped them the other night after reading your post. I can get you some good daylight pics today from different angles if you need them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
This is the diagram for the 46" deck on my '90 265. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I got my parts yesterday and went out to take a look at things and I think I diagnosed the problem incorrectly after taking the mower deck off.

The drive belt from the transmission is fine (for now). The belt that broke is the belt that goes from the PTO to the mower deck. I believe my manual refers to this as a "mower drive belt". I'm trying to identify the part number, any help would be appreciated.

Also, when I took the mower deck out from under the tractor, I could see a large crack in the mower deck belt. So, I guess I'll be replacing that as well.

Lastly, I still don't where the other end of the spring goes (unless I did get the wrong spring as well).

Attached are a few pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe it is part #21 on the diagram themoose posted last. It looks like I need to know the serial number to get the correct "v-belt". Can someone confirm that this is the correct part I need to go on the upper pulley of the mower deck photos I just posted?

·
Registered
209 Posts
That deck is different than mine, but I think LTG was right, it hooks to the left rear draft arm bracket so that it pulls that pulley to the right to put tension on the belt. The primary belt is M84223 if your tractor ser. no. is less than 012178, and M95861 if greater than that ser. no. The secondary belt is M84136 for my deck, and it may be the same for yours. I could not find the deck LTG put the picture of, so I couldn't find those part numbers.

·
14,116 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
That is kinda weird that you have to click on the implements tab to get that deck to come up, but if you go straight to the sectional index and skip the implement tab the 38, 46, and 50" decks come up but no sight of that particular deck that you found. I got to learn better how to navigate JDParts.

·
Registered
209 Posts
M47765 should be your primary (pto to deck) belt Jedi. That is the one that shows on the diagram. M41960 should be your secondary (blade to blade) belt, as LTG has already mentioned.

·
14,116 Posts
I got to learn better how to navigate JDParts.
Practice, young Jedi, er, Moose! I used my Jedi mind powers to navigate my way through... While standing on my head, in a swamp! :sidelaugh

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Navigate well you do, confusing JDParts site it is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, so I find the exploded diagrams a little confusing. Both diagrams that you guys have provided seem plausible, but they have different part numbers for the belts, even though both are under the John Deere 265.

The first one, has primary and secondary belts as M47765 and M41960 respectively (ie, keys 10 and 22).

The second diagram has the the primary and secondary belts listed as M95861 and M84136 respectively (ie, keys 21 and 4). I have attached a picture of the Product Identification Number to confirm that M95861 is the correct belt for this case.

So, which diagram should I be following?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.