My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: I may purchase a used JD2520 privately. It has only 8 hours of use. Apparently the oil must be changed at about 20-50 hours. Will I be able to do this at home by myself as I am 50 miles from a dealer. Also, because it is a private purchase does his warranty on the tractor transfer to me ? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Arnold

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
These tractors come with break in oil from the factory. You should change to the recommended oil after 50 hours and yes, this is something you can do yourself. Actually at 50 hrs., everything should be gone through from torquing bolts to checking tire pressure. As for the warranty, it should be transferable, but outside of the US you should probably check with the dealer you will be using. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great to get a prompt reply. I'm 76 now and on 90 acres (75 Forested).Using 1965 Ford & International with Slashers. Both 2WD big,bulky and cause bruising.No Power steering. The 2520 has a CX200 loader (61 inch) and 62 inch Mid Mount Mower. Can I mow with Loader on and do I need counterweights?
It is a Hydrostatic with Cruise Control. Price new here as described is $31,000.00. Seller will accept $21,000.00
I apologize to moderator for carrying on but I sure need advice. Seems like I should not lose too much if I need to resell as my wife is quite ill and we may have to sell up in a year or two. I could get say $4,000.00 each for the oldies.
Lastly can I attach a slasher to the rear with or without mower deck on it? Arnold

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The 2520 is plenty of tractor to not need counter weights. Just keep the loader close to ground level and not running around mowing with it over your head. That thing is a farm tractor not a lawn mower with a bucket so it will handle it just fine. And actually it's good to leave the bucket on around the farm. I always used them to buck up saplings and small trees before I ran them over with a bush hog to prevent leaving stobs in the ground.

I know what you mean sir about using the old bulky equipment around the farm. We had a ford 3000 and a few Farmalls for our place. Never could afford a new modern tractor. If we had a John deere 2520 like your looking at we woulda been in heaven. Compact and powerfull and the hydrostatic is smooth as silk. And please don't take offense, but at 76 why not treat yourself to some luxury? That 2520 will be a real Cadillac around the farm

Best wishes to your wife bless her heart.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I leave the loader on while mowing. Just take the bucket off, gives you better visability and tighter turning around trees without the bucket hitting trees. I have the 2720 with the 62d mower.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You will probably get more responses if you posted questions under the COMPACT tractor forum instead of the lawn/garden tractor forum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2520 is plenty of tractor to not need counter weights. Just keep the loader close to ground level and not running around mowing with it over your head. That thing is a farm tractor not a lawn mower with a bucket so it will handle it just fine. And actually it's good to leave the bucket on around the farm. I always used them to buck up saplings and small trees before I ran them over with a bush hog to prevent leaving stobs in the ground.

I know what you mean sir about using the old bulky equipment around the farm. We had a ford 3000 and a few Farmalls for our place. Never could afford a new modern tractor. If we had a John deere 2520 like your looking at we woulda been in heaven. Compact and powerfull and the hydrostatic is smooth as silk. And please don't take offense, but at 76 why not treat yourself to some luxury? That 2520 will be a real Cadillac around the farm

WOW! What a lovely response.It brought tears to my eyes,Thanks.Are the blades on mower thick? Can I have a Bush Hog (slasher here) attached at the same time? Haven't had time to pay for this item yet and someone wants to offer the seller more money but seller is staying with the deal.Love Kentucky went there in 1997 and bought an old school bell in Paducah.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will probably get more responses if you posted questions under the COMPACT tractor forum instead of the lawn/garden tractor forum.
SORRY! I,obviously,am ultra stupid and do not really know how to do anything well such as starting a new post,accessing different forums, talking with others,etc. Is there a training section or group? Again.I apologize for my incompetence.

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
No apologies needed. I'm a Mod here and I missed that you posted this in the L&G forum. :) A good place to start herre is the General Site Information forum. There you can get a lot of good info in the Welcome to MTF - Getting Started and the Site Questions and Stuff sections. :)

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
... and do I need counterweights?...

The 2520 definitely requires rear ballast for safe FEL operation. This is taken straight from the manual:

Required Minimum Tractor Ballast

CAUTION: To help prevent the possibility of personal injury or death caused by tractor/loader roll over, DO NOT operate tractor/loader unless it is equipped with proper ballast.

The amount of ballast listed in the chart is the minimum required for normal loader operation. For some operations, additional ballast may be required to maximize stability.

IMPORTANT: When adding ballast, do not exceed maximum tire carrying capacity shown on sidewall.

REQUIRED MINIMUM BALLAST

1 -- Fluid-filled rear tires and 350 kg (772 lb) of 3-Point Hitch Ballast (1)

2 -- Three rear wheel weights per wheel and 350 kg (772 lb) of 3-Point Hitch Ballast (1)

If loader is equipped with pallet fork attachment, 85 kg (187 lb) of additional ballast is required.

1 See ADDING BALLAST TO 3-POINT HITCH in this section.
OUO6038,00020C8-19-20120518

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMW56435_19/?tM=FR

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Dear JohnnyReb: WOW 6 months since my email and I never replied to yours.How do I send a direct reply to you at your site? this website assumes that we know how to do things.Please assist me. YANKAUSSIE P.S. How do I start another new thread?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts