My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys and gals. I found a JD 240 with a 46" deck. Not sure what year. I've been looking at a LT Like a Simplicity Regent or JD E series or S240 or Cub XT1, but really prefer a GT. Anyway, they are asking $750 for it. Photos do show a little rough but probably nothing I can't fix. One thing I am not sure of is it has a Kohler Courage 20 swapped in it from a cub. Isn't that like a mortal sin like a LS Chevy in a Ford? I feel like I've read iffy reviews on the Courage series but I could be wrong. Are these capable of ground engagement? Do they have hydraulics like for a bucket or something? I've read some about them on the forum and they seem pretty stout, but one big concern I have is parts availability and when I went to the JD store website there didn't seem to be any attachments or deck related things so that's a tad concerning. I'll post the CL link. Do you guys think it's worth what they want?

Thanks.
Chase

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/grd/d/jd-240-garden-tractor/6663034174.html

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,259 Posts
I would say go for it. It My favorite John Deere But I am Biased As I owned one for 12 years And Have regretted selling it ever since to my cousin.

Attachments are easy to find

If the following tractors listed Below used the Attachment it can be used On a JD 240
GT225
GT235
GT242
GT245
GT262
GT275
GX255
GX325
GX335
GX345
GX355
A 48inch deck is still available from Deere as a replacement deck

If a 48inch Blade was Mounted On any of the above Listed tractors It will work on the 240. (Originally Deere Made a 46inch Front Blade when 240 Came out)

If a 30inch tiller was On the above listed tractors it will work On a 240

The Current Manual lift sleeve Hitch for the X500 series works On a 240

A 42inch snow thrower from the above Listed Tractor will work On a 240

:thThumbsU

·
Registered
7 Posts
^ Thanks for the info @Sergeant
I have a 240 and couldn't be happier. No hydraulics on this model.
Paid around $900 for one in excellent condition last March, so it seams like a decent price.
The only thing I'm not sure of is that motor swap...

·
Super Moderator
15,259 Posts
^ Thanks for the info @Sergeant
I have a 240 and couldn't be happier. No hydraulics on this model.
Paid around $900 for one in excellent condition last March, so it seams like a decent price.
The only thing I'm not sure of is that motor swap...
Twin cylinder Courage engine usually didn't Have many Problems. It was the Single cylinders that were Know for Problems Twin were Made In Mississippi & Singles were made In China :thThumbsU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts