My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The belt (which looks to be in good shape) keeps popping off. I just purchased this and am unsure if perhaps I don't have the belt on correctly. Check these pictures out and let me know what you think.

It pops off around the idler area within 2-3 seconds of engaging the pto - every time. I've tried tightening the tensioner to what I feel is adequate tension. No difference.

Note: you will see the belt is caught on the guard in some of the pictures. This was an oversight when photoing as I was quickly trying to stick it back on. NOT how I typically put it on.

Attachments

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
Try the picture thing again.

·
JD318
990 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.
Is it a JD original belt? Some belts that claim to be replacements don't work too well.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If you look closely at the rear idler pulley, you'll notice that it is flat instead of 'V' shaped; the BACK of the belt is supposed to travel against this pulley, no the 'V' side. You should have no more than 1/4 twist in any straight run between two pulleys, you have a half twist from this idler to the drive pulley which is causing the belt to twist off the pulleys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts