My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum,

Usually I don't have to post because I'm able to find an old entry but I can't find this particular issue. If this has been covered or there's a similar diagnosis elsewhere please let me know!

I have an issue that has been developing over time with my 214. It used to be that when the battery was running low (may have a charging issue as well), when trying to start the tractor, the ignition would click a bunch of times before finally turning over and then would start and run fine. With a full charge it would start on the first try. Now, even when the battery is fully topped off, I have to try 10+ times before finally hearing the starter(?) catch. I've replaced the solenoid, condenser, and spark plug recently. I will be replacing the points shortly as well.

Any suggestions for diagnosis or what is wrong? Loose connection, bad battery, bad starter?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your quick responses. PA318Guy and Alien5044 nailed it. Starter spins but doesn't engage. One drop of lube and a little pry to pull out the starter shaft one time and it's looking good. I should probably remove the starter and clean the shaft as you suggested to resolve this a little longer term.

Valve clearances are on my list next time the carb is off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts