My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum,

Usually I don't have to post because I'm able to find an old entry but I can't find this particular issue. If this has been covered or there's a similar diagnosis elsewhere please let me know!

I have an issue that has been developing over time with my 214. It used to be that when the battery was running low (may have a charging issue as well), when trying to start the tractor, the ignition would click a bunch of times before finally turning over and then would start and run fine. With a full charge it would start on the first try. Now, even when the battery is fully topped off, I have to try 10+ times before finally hearing the starter(?) catch. I've replaced the solenoid, condenser, and spark plug recently. I will be replacing the points shortly as well.

Any suggestions for diagnosis or what is wrong? Loose connection, bad battery, bad starter?

·
Jerk of all trades
830 Posts
Valves adjusted ?

Reactions: jguilbert

·
Super Moderator
43,386 Posts
Are you hearing the starter spin each time and the bendix isn't engaging or it takes that many times to get the starter to start spining? If it is spinning and won't catch the flywheel try a little graphite lube (very little) or one drop of oil on the shaft for the bendix. You should be able to do that without tearing anything apart. Both my 212 and 216 would do that sometimes.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
My old Craftsman did same. Battery was pretty old but would still turn the starter. Just wouldn't engage the flywheel every time, but it would spin. I removed the starter and cleaned the corroded starter shaft and put a little lube on it. Cured the problem.

Be sure all grounds are clean and tight, especially anything grounding the starter or solenoid.
Just to eliminate a possible key switch issue, try to power the solenoid directly, to see if it engages every time that way. Like the old Ford solenoids, just connect a jumper between the two large lugs and the starter should engage. I used a couple of screwdrivers one on each lug, then crossed them, like a switch.
If it does engage that way, there may be insufficient voltage reaching the solenoid's small terminals to close the switch and connect the battery voltage to the starter.
If it does the same thing when shorting the solenoid, there may be an issue with the starter.
All this is just basic stuff, maybe you've already tried. Can't think of anything else.

Reactions: jguilbert

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your quick responses. PA318Guy and Alien5044 nailed it. Starter spins but doesn't engage. One drop of lube and a little pry to pull out the starter shaft one time and it's looking good. I should probably remove the starter and clean the shaft as you suggested to resolve this a little longer term.

Valve clearances are on my list next time the carb is off.

·
Jerk of all trades
830 Posts
It's not that hard

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Thanks for all your quick responses. PA318Guy and Alien5044 nailed it. Starter spins but doesn't engage. One drop of lube and a little pry to pull out the starter shaft one time and it's looking good. I should probably remove the starter and clean the shaft as you suggested to resolve this a little longer term.

Valve clearances are on my list next time the carb is off.
Hit it with some PB Blaster to break down the rust, and get it freed up good, dry it off, (high pressure air works good for that.) then hit it with some DRY lube. Graphite powder, or something similar. That'll solve the problem for quite a few years.

It's not that hard
He has a Kohler one lung. It isn't OHV, so, procedure is a bit different.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hit it with some PB Blaster to break down the rust, and get it freed up good, dry it off, (high pressure air works good for that.) then hit it with some DRY lube. Graphite powder, or something similar. That'll solve the problem for quite a few years.

He has a Kohler one lung. It isn't OHV, so, procedure is a bit different.
Yes it is a one lunger I have a 214--I was going to state that it is very important to make sure all connections are clean and tight. But found out later it was the starter was not engaged. Glad you found the problem.

·
Jerk of all trades
830 Posts
Opps Sorry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts