My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i was wondering how you guys that own 212 models like them? do they have a nice cut? and what would you pay for a nice one?
thank you

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I had a 214 several years ago.I loved that tractor and the 3 blade 47'' deck cut very well.What I liked the most about it was it was super quite and steered very easy.The variable speed variator is a bit out dated these days but I did not mind it.Some had problems with the variator I did not.I think the secrete to keeping it working well is to always have it back toward the operator before parking the tractor and not stoping with it ahead and not moving it while the tractor is parked.

What I would give for one depends on condition.If it was in average shape with a smoke free engine and good deck probably $400.00?But if it was a real cream puff I would probably double that.Most that I see are well used and are in sad shape and onlt would be worth a few hundred dollar however.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a 214 several years ago.I loved that tractor and the 3 blade 47'' deck cut very well.What I liked the most about it was it was super quite and steered very easy.The variable speed variator is a bit out dated these days but I did not mind it.Some had problems with the variator I did not.I think the secrete to keeping it working well is to always have it back toward the operator before parking the tractor and not stoping with it ahead and not moving it while the tractor is parked.

What I would give for one depends on condition.If it was in average shape with a smoke free engine and good deck probably $400.00?But if it was a real cream puff I would probably double that.Most that I see are well used and are in sad shape and onlt would be worth a few hundred dollar however.

Great info thank you very much. One question could you explain what the variable speed variator is and how it workes?
thanks

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
The variable speed variator is the short lever on the right side just ahead of the dash.They have a 4 speed shifter and you can push the varitor ahead for different speed ranges for that gear.Example if your in second gear you can push it ahead to go faster or pull it back to go slower.There is a belt pulley that gets narrower or wider so the belt runs low in the pulley or high in the pulley.That is what gives it the different speed ranges.It was popular before hydrostatic transmissions took off.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
I have a 210. the 210, 212, 214, 216 were all the same tractor with different motors. In my neck of the woods, a 2oo series tractor is decent condition with everything working would fetch $400-600 including the mower deck. Optional goodies to look for are the rear sleeve hitch, the optional hydraulic mower lift or the electric lift, any of which add to the value of the tractor.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I love my 214!! it is a great tractor and mows very nice. As a matter of fact it cuts just as nice as my x540.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
I like my 214 as well; except that its too-narrow 39" deck don't stick out past the left side tires far enough. (for my liking anyway) but my yard isn't very big anyway. Strong runner, no smoke. Soon as I get the trans re mounted (had to fix an axle seal leak) I will be making up my mind whether to keep or sell; especially since I have a 314 as well, and being hydro might be a better "workhorse" with a snow blower or a blade come winter. or a tiller should I be so inclined. Mowing is a low priority with me, as far as a tractor goes.

but I used the 214 with both snow attatchments (not at the same time, duh) throughout the winter; finished with the blade on it;
as my 16 year old son has an old Roper, hydro,16 HP twin cyl. Onan powered tractor, with a blower--but he don't have a blade for that one; so we had 1 tractor with each setup on it, ready to go, all the time.
If I decide to keep the 314, the 214 would have to go in order to "fund" the engine job on the other one. (honestly wish I could convince the wife that I "need" them both!!!!) if she had her wat I'd be tractor-less again.

I got the 314 non running, basically for its larger deck to go onto the 214; but that deck's incomplete and needs a blast, a repaint and a quick date with my MIG. so if the 214 goes so does that 39" deck; it does do a nice job!

I do also have that Ariens in the weeds; with its 54" blade and PTO powered tiller; but that's another story.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I've had a 212 for almost 30 years and it is still running strong. I've been waiting for it to die so I could get a new x500 but I'm starting to worry that it could possibly out live me. The 212 runs and cuts great and is a good looking tractor. Oh yeah, I should get my new x500 on Friday and my 212 will go into a well deserved semi-retirement!!

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts