My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 210 that came with a snowblower and mower deck. When I turn the key it does nothing. Then after a few times trying it start up. Any ideas what to look at? Also I have not put the mower deck on yet. But with the snowblower the lift Handel is sure hard to lift. And to keep it up I have to pull up on the thumb press. Is there anyway to fix this? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If you don't her a "click" when you turn key to "Start", probably bad ignition switch, replace. If you hear a click and it doesn't turn over, probably bad solenoid, weak battery, or dirty connections. Take battery to auto parts store for free load test. When installing battery back into tractor, scrape or emery battery terminals... they should be bright & shiny, NOT gray.

Do you have multimeter and know how to use it? If so, connect to stud on solenoid that connects to starter. Turn to "Start" and check voltage. If around 5-7 volts, probably bad contacts inside solenoid, replace solenoid. If around 10 volts, bad/weak starter... repair or replace.

You'll need to do some more checking to get more specific answers on starting issue (but I'm thinking ignition switch!)

The 2xx series are not my expertise, but I believe there's a lift assist spring that also is adjustable for tension. Someone more knowledgeable than me will have to explain location! I also believe (??) to repair thumb button requires replacing handle, but again not sure.

Also, "Welcome to MTF," Bob

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
There is a selection of safety switches in the starting circuit as well. Seat switch, (under the seat...) Neutral safety switch, just under the plastic trim piece for the shifter, and PTO switch, just below the dash panel a few inches. You can see it when you open the hood. (assuming mechanical PTO lever.)

·
Super Moderator
35,269 Posts
Yes the 2xx series manual lifts were quite the left arm muscle builder called the "Armstrong" lever! The lift assist is no longer available from JD but you can find them on places like eBay. They really help with lifting the snowblower and blade.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No click when I turn the key.
Does anyone know the part number for the spring I need?
Tonight im going to try and hook the deck up. Should be interesting being ive never done so with any riding mower

·
Super Moderator
35,269 Posts
Here is the diagram for the lift lever, but first I would try some lubricant in there to see if that makes it easier to have the button return to the up position.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
OK, no click. STILL can be several possibilities! Here's you wiring diagrams NOTE serial number specific. Click pdf on bottom of thread.
Turn key to "Run" and check for 12v at + side of coil. If no voltage, cycle key on/off several times. If voltage "magically appears", replace ignition switch.

Part numbers and lots of other info! Go to: "https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/" and create a free account. Choose a local vendor, then enter "210" in model search box. Scroll down through results until you get to "210-Tractor, Lawn and Garden". Click that and be prepared to read...a lot! Every nut, bolt, part, and option will be shown! As with many JD parts, some are serial number specific, so have it handy. Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, no click. STILL can be several possibilities! Here's you wiring diagrams NOTE serial number specific. Click pdf on bottom of thread.
Turn key to "Run" and check for 12v at + side of coil. If no voltage, cycle key on/off several times. If voltage "magically appears", replace ignition switch.

Part numbers and lots of other info! Go to: "https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/" and create a free account. Choose a local vendor, then enter "210" in model search box. Scroll down through results until you get to "210-Tractor, Lawn and Garden". Click that and be prepared to read...a lot! Every nut, bolt, part, and option will be shown! As with many JD parts, some are serial number specific, so have it handy. Bob
Thanks alot!! I'll give this a go tonight after work!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the diagram for the lift lever, but first I would try some lubricant in there to see if that makes it easier to have the button return to the up position.
Thanks, I dont see the diagram for it. But im also not to great on electronics so it could just be me missing it.

·
Super Moderator
35,269 Posts
Thanks, I dont see the diagram for it. But im also not to great on electronics so it could just be me missing it.
I must have missed putting it in, it is in the post now after I edited it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the mower deck on. But the lift arm dont move the deck. It moves the arm that goes to the front of the snowblower. The two parts that hook to what looks like the lifter dont move with the arm. Is there a trick to it or am I just missing something

·
Super Moderator
35,269 Posts
So did you connect the lift straps on the deck to the lift arms from the rocker arm?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So did you connect the lift straps on the deck to the lift arms from the rocker arm?

View attachment 2497829

View attachment 2497830
Yes, but when u pulled on the lifter arm neither side would move. I took deck out and they are moving now. But the deck sure seemed high for being all the way down. And they dont travel very far. Jut the last half of the arm travel when they finally move up

·
Super Moderator
35,269 Posts
There is some slack in them and that is normal at the full down position. Have you adjusted the deck height adjustment knob to allow for the lowest position?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I've had several of the 200 series tractors over the years, all before 1990 when I got my 265, so my memory is a little foggy. All of the lift handles were sticky. I forget if I took them apart, or just put the little plastic tube on a can of CRC and sprayed a bunch down the shaft, but they all eventually worked free.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is some slack in them and that is normal at the full down position. Have you adjusted the deck height adjustment knob to allow for the lowest position?
I have not. Not really sure how that works. The black knob just spins off.

·
Super Moderator
35,269 Posts
Here is what it looks like and you will need to get that spinning to change the deck height for mowing. As you see there should be a jam nut under the knob so that you can lock it on the threaded rod.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is what it looks like and you will need to get that spinning to change the deck height for mowing. As you see there should be a jam nut under the knob so that you can lock it on the threaded rod.

View attachment 2497831
Thanks! So moving that down will adjust the stopping point when you lower the deck? Kind of a set it once and leave it deal?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts