My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping a friend who has a John Deere 2040S (built in France with a Manheim diesel engine) that he only uses to push snow in the Wintertime. A little background is he bought this tractor after noticing it sitting at a farm while on his UPS delivery route from an elderly orchardist. Winter of 2015, he was telling me the 3-point lift was slow and jerky. I told him I will help him out. I pulled the plug where the screen filter is on the tractor and drained the oil out. I pulled the screen and it had a lot of sludge in it. I did not notice any large metal or fiber in it. Looked more like dark gray dark muck. The collar shift boots were terrible as it had moisture and dirt in the oil though. So, cleaned it best I could and put new filter and Hy-Guard hydraulic oil. Repaired 2 hydraulic leaks. One on tubing lines and another on remote valve. I installed shift lever boots. I ran it and the 3-point worked great with good pressure. I told him maybe in Spring need to drain the oil, check screen and change the filter and put new oil.

Fast Forward to present – owner told me his left brake pedal is dropping down when he pushed the pedal. He would lose his left braking. His right brake worked fine. He wanted to do a hydraulic oil change and check the screen out. He had read somewhere that some people had brake problem because of that. So, did that for him. His brake was still the same after doing this. I pulled the foot plate off above the brake pulled the soft plug off the left brake reservoir to see how it was doing with oil. No oil in brake reservoir after changing and running the tractor. How fast should it fill? I added oil and tried to bleed the left brake. No difference though, I thought maybe the equalizer circuit could be affecting the brake. I made adjustment to pedal to address that. No change. I looked it over and figured I could put the right brake tubing to the left brake. The left brake then pumped up fine and no longer push down all the way. That narrowed it down.

I then pulled the left final drive off. The outer ring seal was not in one piece and I suspect that is why we had no pressure buildup. It was leaking out that seal. The inner one looked intact. The brake had been rubbing metal to metal on the wheel side of the brake disk and the other side looked normal to me. It just doesn’t look like this region filled up with enough oil to me. Did the oil supply tube not give enough oil? I need to see how and where this tube get oil. I am guessing it will be the low-pressure feed side. I tried to look in John Deere parts for this tractor. I haven’t found this tube yet. My first glance makes me believe this area should fill up to the area just below the spline drive where your oil can then seep back to the middle. I did not see any ports going back to center. The metal wear built up at the bottom of the disks is so fine that it almost looks like the consistency of Anti-seize. I was going to see if my brothers’ long scope can see the whole bottom of the transmission. To see how much cleaning and hopefully how much wear in any gears. Looking like new brakes, flush the transmission/differential region as well as the final drives. and a good cleaning. Can I do the cleaning by removing the rockshaft cover or do I have to split it. That won’t be as easy since the final drive is off on one side. I looked at bearings that, I could see, and they do not look like they have any problems.

Hopefully I am making sense. It has been a long day. I am trying to get the technical manual asa[. I have been looking at my John Deere 2030 technical manual that is kind of like this region. It was enough to help me some. Are there any other manual out there that are pretty good compared to John Deere’s? I appreciate any and all input.
IMG_2641.jpg
IMG_2640.jpg
IMG_2648.jpg
IMG_2644.jpg
IMG_2657.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Waiting on new brake parts. Should be in today. Flushing Transmission/Differential region out with diesel. The operator side oil return port at bottom of brake area was plugged up by the brake and metal wear residue. Believe that these are most likely the original brakes. The original owner must used, like most farmers the left brake. Maybe he had an Offset Disc that he used in his orchard practice. Putting it back together soon as parts arrive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts