My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the neutral safety switch located on a 1986 John Deere 180 w/38" deck? It won't start and checked the purple line going to the spade on the solenoid and it is an open circuit. Also, when I checked for voltage, it showed nothing.Lastly, it worked fine last mowing season
Thanks in advance.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,043 Posts
There should be a pair of wires going to the transmission. Also, make sure to press the brake all the way down whwn starting... my 185 wont crank wirh the brake just set with the park lock. It need to be pushed about 1" further than the park lock holds it to start...LOL but thats what i get with a $50 find...LOL

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,043 Posts
Just checked my parts breakdowns, neutral switch will be right behind the gearshift shaft at the top front of the trans.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,043 Posts
easiest way to access it is either remove the deck, and reach up from under, or if you have tiny hands theres room between the fender deck and frame rail on the right side in front of the rear tire that you may be able to get in there and pull the connector to test it... i havent seen very many neutral switches fail, i would be checking your brake switch first, then the PTO switch before the neutral...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
easiest way to access it is either remove the deck, and reach up from under, or if you have tiny hands theres room between the fender deck and frame rail on the right side in front of the rear tire that you may be able to get in there and pull the connector to test it... i havent seen very many neutral switches fail, i would be checking your brake switch first, then the PTO switch before the neutral...
I looked for the break switch all around the linkages and couldn't locate it. Where is it located and do I access?. Pls forgive my ignorance as I'm new to tractors(I bought it a couple years ago without manuals)

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,043 Posts
there may not be one....LOL thats my fault, i was thinking about my 185 hydro, some things to check. on the back of your PTO switch, with the key on, do you have 12v at the Yellow wire pair with the brake set/in neutral? if you do, with the PTO switch in the off position, is it sending current thru from the yellow pair down to the Pink wire? if not, the PTO switch has failed. if you dont have power on the yellow wires, check for power on the red/blue trace at the key switch. if theres no power there, check your fuse or circuit breaker depending on when it was made. that should be mounted on the "firewall" under the battery, behind the green lower dash cover.

report back what you find :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there may not be one....LOL thats my fault, i was thinking about my 185 hydro, some things to check. on the back of your PTO switch, with the key on, do you have 12v at the Yellow wire pair with the brake set/in neutral? if you do, with the PTO switch in the off position, is it sending current thru from the yellow pair down to the Pink wire? if not, the PTO switch has failed. if you dont have power on the yellow wires, check for power on the red/blue trace at the key switch. if theres no power there, check your fuse or circuit breaker depending on when it was made. that should be mounted on the "firewall" under the battery, behind the green lower dash cover.

report back what you find :)
There is 12Volts at the yellow pair at the back of the PTO switch

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,043 Posts
ok, does the pink wire on the PTO switch have battery voltage to it? it would have to be plugged into the switch to have power, sice it will travel thru the switch from the yellow pair. if not, i would bet the PTO switch bit the dust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, does the pink wire on the PTO switch have battery voltage to it? it would have to be plugged into the switch to have power, sice it will travel thru the switch from the yellow pair. if not, i would bet the PTO switch bit the dust.
There is 12,4 volts at the pink wire

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is 12,4 volts at the pink wire
I removed the fender deck and gas tank and located the transmission mounted neutral safety switch, how do I tell if the switch is good or bad? what other checks can I make now that I removed all those parts?

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,043 Posts
sorry, been busy over the holiday weekend, LOL everyone wants thier tractors back to them asap...LOL so, you ahve power at the pink, testing the neutral switch is fairly straight forward. in neutral, you want to see continuity on the 2 posts of the switch. out of neutral should be open circuit. the neutral switch is the last safety in the line, if it tests good, then the contact in your key switch has failed, since you have power at the pink wire on the pto, which feeds the start circuit at the key switch, then goes down the prple wire to the neutral start switch, then out of the switch down the purple/white wire to the starter. if you want, you coul do a continuity test on the purple wire at the key switch to the neutral switch, and the same on the purple/white wire from the switch to the starter to make sure you have good wiring.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts