My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is a john deere model 175 for sale near me,
ad says runs and cuts good but needs transmission.
think it has a eaton model 7 transaxle.are these
usually repairable or if not how readily available
are used ones?

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
They can be found on eBay once in awhile,but expect high shipping costs. I got my 185's replacement from a 185 with blown engine on Craigslist.

·
Registered
645 Posts
are used ones?
Consider this:
In it's present condition assume the worst case scenario (deck bearings, belts, tune up, etc) at a total cost of about $100-150 just to get it in good running condition before you even dive into the hydro.

Last year I bought a 165 from a person who declared the hydro doa. I paid $75 for it and dove into it. The hydro has a fan that blows air across the cooling fins. All but one of the fan blades were missing and the cooling fins were completely packed with something resembling organic matter. I replaced the fan, cleaned the fins, replaced the oil and never looked back.

Of course the deck needed bearings and the belts were all toast and the motor needed a tune up and the fuel lines were rotted but I dumped about $160 into it and cut grass the rest of the year without any problems.

If you go for this 175 don't just take the seller's word for it that everything but the hydro is a-ok. In my mind it's not worth more than $100 as is, these things aren't especially rare nor are they collectible. They are solid grass cutters that will take a plow or blower and haul a cart. Other than that don't expect much more out of these machines.

I've owned 4 of these machines and they are very well built and low maintenance if cared for. Here in SW Ohio 175s are commanding $400-450 this spring.

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
are used ones?

seems like a contradiction

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,947 Posts
seems like a contradiction
Depends... My 160's engine runs great, and DANG it cuts the lawn amazingly well... BUT... Every once in a while I'll get the stuttering lurch or thunking/clicking as I'm snowblowing or trucking around to my lawn that tells me my geared transaxle is going downhill... in the case of the hydro, its probably got that "slows down when heating up" issue that indicates potential failure... So the engine might run great, and it probably does a bang-up job of cutting the grass... But only in one 38" wide spot! :sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
So the engine might run great, and it probably does a bang-up job of cutting the grass... But only in one 38" wide spot! :sidelaugh
good point!:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts