My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a snow thrower for the JD 170 i just bought. im not sure what model(s) work for it. Any info would help.

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
The 338 is the main model that fits. When buying used make sure you get ALL the necessary parts including:

mule drive
two draft arms
tensioner spring and linkage
auger lift and spout rotation linkages

You wil also need the ballast weights that mount on the rear.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay thanks:thanku:, i hope i can find one for a decent price, i would really like one b4 winter cuz i have nothing

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh yeah i found a few but they are all too far away :(

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Herd Need a picture of the back side of your 338 where everything attaches to it. ( getting confused, got some more pieces to the puzzle)
Might also help jd926 ID what he should be looking for. Thanks !!!

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
okay thanks:thanku:, i hope i can find one for a decent price, i would really like one b4 winter cuz i have nothing
I hear you I had to buy a crappy 175 with snow blower to get the snowblower but now I have a parts tractor or fix-me-up and extra mower deck too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I hear you I had to buy a crappy 175 with snow blower to get the snowblower but now I have a parts tractor or fix-me-up and extra mower deck too.
Just takes patience, I bought one for 200, had none of the parts. :crybaby: Luckily the seller was a standup guy and let me bring it back for my cash.

Then I found another one with a nice clean tractor, but the engine was making some noise. So I picked the tractor up and the blower and all the parts for 325.

:trink39:

Fall project is going to be to strip the blower down, clean up any rust, and make it cherry. I can't wait to use it the first time.

Herd is right, if you don't have all of the parts it isnt worth anything. The parts are so hard to find, are out of production, and go for almost what a whole blower goes for if you can even find them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay i think i might have found one im going to have to take a little trip to get it. but what do you guys think? he sent me a couple pictures and is supposed to be sending me a picture of the hardware so i know its all there he is also giving me weights and chains

·
10,723 Posts
That is the correct blower, with the newer style chute. Good deal with the weights. While not impossible to find, they aren't an everyday item.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im a little confused right now why it looks like the belt is so long...maybe once i see how it goes together it will make sense..?.?
:trink39:

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
The belt should look long. It has to go around two pulleys at the middle of the tractor and back to the PTO pulley on the engine. Read pages 8 and 9 of KATT's thread where I try to explain the belt routing for the snowthrower starting here; http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=141784&page=8

You'll also get an idea of all the stuff you should get. Best of luck on your Deere hunt.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:swow: Wow thats quite the set up... now i need to make sure he has all those parts and hopefully i can go get it:praying:

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts

Left to Right... PO's Home made Suitcase holder ( newer style suitcases ) Mule drive ( make sure you get this !!!!!!!) Mounting bracket ( blower to tractor ) .
Yeah the belt is long the mule drive sits mid-tractor.
Your blower looks mint I'd drive a long way for that.
I just pulled the whole blower apart ( man rust everywhere)You'll be blowing snow while I'm still sanding !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks, i really hope he emails me the pictures of the rest of the parts soon so i know everything is there. i guess from what the guy said he had bought it in 89 new he still has the manual that goes with it so im sure he should have everything.
And Herds link to KATT's thread helped alot, i now know how it is SUPPOSED to work.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
This is how MTF works. One person asks a question and 50 are watching, some wondering the same thing. Ain't MTF great ??!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is great!! :thThumbsU Glad i found it to use:trink39:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts