My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought this 170, it is supposed to have 5 gears and reverse, i only can get 3 forward gears and reverse. neutral is at 1st, 2nd is at 3rd-4th and 3rd is at 5th and sometimes reverse is at neutral. now i had a snapper that had a similar problem and i fixed by just adjusting the shifter but i dont see anything on this like that any ideas would be very helpful :praying:

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry that link didnt seem to help me too much, i just need to know what i have to do to fix it

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how would i adjust the linkage?

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,935 Posts
JD doesn't put their older tech manuals on line, so, the next best thing you can do for free is to hit their parts catalog at the link Herd posted, then do a Model search on 170... That'll give you the 170 Lawn tractor... Expand out the listing by hitting the little + sign, go to Sectional Index -> Power Train... in there you should at least find some diagrams of what things are supposed to look like.... Not as good as dropping $100 for the service manual, but whaddayado? Hopefully someone else will be along that has torn into one of those transaxles... So far, mine's working okay, so I'm not messing with it...

·
Registered
222 Posts
i have seen this problum in a 160 the best advice i can give is change the transaxle (if the shifter has already been adressed)alot of the old murrys and craftsmans have the same (peerless transaxles )and you can find old tractors with rotten decks very cheap

it would jump in and out of gear and 1st was second and so on

good luck

changing the transaxle is not a very big job

·
Registered
25 Posts
Before you remove or even replace the transmission, check where the shifter mounts to the transmission shift arm. I had a LX173 that did the same as you describe. All the problem turned out to be was the nut that holds the shifter to the shift arm was loose. I believe it takes a 10mm wrench to tighten. Try that. You may get lucky like I did. Hope this helps.

Matthew.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay i pulled the trans axle today to take a closer look and it was loose i tightened it but i still dont have 5th and its still alittle off but i guess i can live with it.

·
13,935 Posts
How's your drive belt? On my 160, the PO had put on TOO SHORT of a drive belt (didn't actually PUT a JD belt on, some other one that was CLOSE). While I HAD all 5 gears, shifting was a bugger... Had a terrible time getting it to first through neutral from reverse in particular, and back into reverse... Changing the drive belt fixed all that...

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
After you take the drive pully off. Then you will find the shifter screw, Allen head, Take it out then take a small magnet down into the hole and lift everything out. Put the shifter back on and see if it shifts;; If it doesen't lift the top of the tranny off, Just block it so it don't roll all over the shop; Oh when you put it back togather make sure the bushing ears are in the slots. , Good luck ; If you need help just ask..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah :thanku: everybody for the help the bolt on top of the transaxle was not tight enough and the bracket that attaches to it is kinda worn so it allowed it to move to much before shifting the gear. So i got a new bolt because the old one was stripped (probably by the PO) and replaced the bracket and it works like new.:drunkie:

·
13,935 Posts

·
-
1,829 Posts
Shouldn't be, I just checked it again... ??

JD926's link is the same info though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts