My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a JD 170 I inherited from my father in law. It has never had breaks for as long as I have had it. Tonight I took it apart to see if it just needed adjustment or new pads. While the pads are worn and I wasn’t successful in getting the rotor off I cleaned what I could and adjusted the nut. I put the tire back and spun the wheel then hit the brake, nothing happened. The rotor doesn’t even spin with the tires. Is that normal or do I have a bigger issue? Ie trans

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,743 Posts
Hi Josh and welcome... Just going to pop your thread here over into the John Deere forum so the rest of the John Deere guys can see it and it doesn't get lost in the Getting Started forum. I'm trying to think back to whether the brake rotor spun for me on my spare Peerless 801 when I pulled the brake pad off of it, and I honestly can't remember. However, here's a bit of help for you, I dug out the link to the Tecumseh/Peerless Transaxle manual that lives in our MTF Reference Library...
Check it out, the transaxle in your 170 is a Peerless 801 IIRC..

·
close enuff works for me
2,971 Posts
On a 170 the rotor for the brakes should spin any time the rear axle is turning , the brake pads stop the rotor which stops the rear axle. Some thing is probably broken in the rear axle . Have never had an axle for the 170 apart,so can't help you with that.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
As said when you spin rear tires in air rotor should spin. There’s a brake pad on back side. Did it fall out is it worn out? I guess spline or rotor could be stripped?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
As said when you spin rear tires in air rotor should spin. There’s a brake pad on back side. Did it fall out is it worn out? I guess spline or rotor could be stripped?
Below are the brake and internal components. It's possible that either the rotor (#11) or the end of shaft (#8) is stripped. I'd think the rotor is more likely as it is probably softer material.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I had it on jack stands. I had to push both wheels the same direction to get the rotor to spin. Next project is it try to get the rotor off so I can change the rear pad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts