My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Have an electric welder? If you do, put some appropriate sized nuts on the broken bolts, and weld them on. The heat from the welder will convince the bolts it's time to come out. :) Let the welds cool for a bit, then should come right loose with a wrench or socket.
I did weld nuts on and finally got them out. I used a combo of propane torch heat on the aluminum, ATF/ Acetone, and working the bolt back and forth. I could only get about 1/4 turn on them at first, but just kept working them until they finally started to rotate further. Now Its time for final cleanup and then assembly.

100_3064 (Medium).JPG 100_3065 (Medium).JPG

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Gave the gears a solvent bath. Looks better than the sludge that was on them. Had to use a puller and heat to remove the brake disc. I have a 32 oz. bottle of grease for this, but after checking the specs this 801 series calls for 36 oz. Guess I will need to order another jug before I can put this back together. This would probably be a good time to replace the drive belt also.

100_3069 (Medium).JPG 100_3070 (Medium).JPG 100_3071 (Medium).JPG

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
While I am waiting on my order of grease for the trans I decided to put a tube in one of the rear tires. It would go flat in just a few hours after filling mainly leaking out of the sidewall. I found a good tube in one of my spare wheels laying around the shop. I broke down wheel/tire assy and found some rust and a pool of water inside. I'll get it cleaned up and painted(inside only) and then remount the tire.

100_3074 (Medium).JPG 100_3075 (Medium).JPG

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Put the wheel in our lathe. Used a wire wheel, an angle die grinder with a 36 grit disc, and followed that up with a finishing disc. Sprayed it with Rustoleum primer and JD yellow rattle can. I'll let it dry overnight and then mount up the tire.

100_3077 (Medium).JPG 100_3078 (Medium).JPG 100_3079 (Medium).JPG 100_3080 (Medium).JPG 100_3081 (Medium).JPG 100_3082 (Medium).JPG

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That's cheating.......

Now that the inside of the wheel is all pretty, gonna do the parts that show? :)
We'll see how the trans turns out. If it works good then I will consider pulling it apart and doing a complete paint job.

·
Administrator
12,353 Posts
We'll see how the trans turns out. If it works good then I will consider pulling it apart and doing a complete paint job.
That transaxle is going to shift like butter. I just did the same job on my LT133 and it shifts smooth as silk.

That lathe sure makes cleaning wheels easy, wow!

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That transaxle is going to shift like butter. I just did the same job on my LT133 and it shifts smooth as silk.

That lathe sure makes cleaning wheels easy, wow!
I've used the lathe on a few wheels now and it works good for the inside. It makes painting easy. I also use a heat gun to warm the wheel while its spinning which helps the primer and paint dry faster. Here is a front wheel for a craftsman. It had fix-a-flat in it that rusted the wheel bad.

100_4093 (Medium).JPG 100_4096 (Medium).JPG 100_4098 (Medium).JPG 100_4099 (Medium).JPG 100_4101 (Medium).JPG 100_4102 (Medium).JPG

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Got the tire mounted. When I was trying to clean out the tire I found it was coated in some sort of fix-a-flat reside. Its probably why the wheel was so rusty. I suspect all of the wheels will be this way when I break them down. I'll cross that road when I get there, but for now I have tires that will stay inflated for several days at the least.

100_3083 (Medium).JPG 100_3084 (Medium).JPG

21 - 29 of 29 Posts