My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some repair work on a JD 300 almost 4 years ago and I finally got the trade deal for my labor done today. This is what I got, a JD 160 project. I'll get it checked out in the next few days to see if its just parts or a fixer.

100_3020 (Medium).JPG 100_3021 (Medium).JPG 100_3022 (Medium).JPG 100_3023 (Medium).JPG 100_3024 (Medium).JPG

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Better late, than never. :) Does it run? Move around under its own power?
Congrats and I hope you can get it running.
This is one of those "it ran when parked tractors". It has oil in it and feels like good compression so I am hopeful that it will run. Its has definitely been sitting for years. The steering is very stiff along with the shift lever, but they started loosening up with a little movement. I'm sure it will need the carb cleaned up before it will run. Other than that it just needs a battery.

·
Super Moderator
28,881 Posts
This is one of those "it ran when parked tractors". It has oil in it and feels like good compression so I am hopeful that it will run. Its has definitely been sitting for years. The steering is very stiff along with the shift lever, but they started loosening up with a little movement. I'm sure it will need the carb cleaned up before it will run. Other than that it just needs a battery.
Don't you wish you had a nickel for every time you heard that statement? Probably a lot of various lubricants will be needed to get it completely loosened up.

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I put a battery in it and a remote fuel tank because I want to drain the old one and install new fuel lines. These lines are rock hard. After playing with the ignition switch a little it began turning over and fired on starting fluid. Once I got fuel to the carb it ran pretty good for not cleaning it yet. It does stumble at idle, probably due to some crud or bad needle and seat. When I would shut the fuel off it smoothed right out. Next is to see if I can free up the steering and shifter so I can try driving it.

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled the fender deck for access to the rear axle linkage and to remove and drain the fuel tank. It appears that the shaft going into the trans might be the sticky point. The shift arm has some play in it where it keys on to the shaft. Might have to tear down the trans to loosen things up, but I will try some good penetrant first. I got some grease to go into the spindle shaft and the steering is getting better. The charging system wasn't working, but after cleaning up the rusty ignition switch and plug it now works.

100_3026 (Medium).JPG 100_3027 (Medium).JPG 100_3028 (Medium).JPG 100_3029 (Medium).JPG

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
Done !!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Decided to pull the rear wheels in prep for rear axle removal if the shift lever shaft doesn't free up. One wheel just slid right off, the other needed a little help with a puller.

100_3030 (Medium).JPG 100_3031 (Medium).JPG 100_3032 (Medium).JPG 100_3033 (Medium).JPG

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pulled the rear trans-axle. Had the 2 front mounting bolts break. At least there is some of the bolt still sticking up to get a hold of. I'll address those later. Got it pressure washed, pulled the pulley, and broke the bolts loose holding it together. A couple on the outer axle flange felt a bit tight so I am soaking them with ATF/Acetone mix from the open bottom side.

100_3044 (Medium).JPG 100_3045 (Medium).JPG 100_3047 (Medium).JPG 100_3048 (Medium).JPG 100_3051 (Medium).JPG

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Have an electric welder? If you do, put some appropriate sized nuts on the broken bolts, and weld them on. The heat from the welder will convince the bolts it's time to come out. :) Let the welds cool for a bit, then should come right loose with a wrench or socket.

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have an electric welder? If you do, put some appropriate sized nuts on the broken bolts, and weld them on. The heat from the welder will convince the bolts it's time to come out. :) Let the welds cool for a bit, then should come right loose with a wrench or socket.
I'll try more heat, but I heated them up before trying to take the rear axle out.

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I opened up the trans-axle and found the usual mess with a little water in it. I pulled the shift lever shaft out, wire brushed it good, and now it rotates easily. Its a lot of work for a 30 second fix, but it will get cleaned up and new grease installed.

100_3053 (Medium).JPG 100_3054 (Medium).JPG 100_3059 (Medium).JPG 100_3060 (Medium).JPG 100_3061 (Medium).JPG 100_3062 (Medium).JPG

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Wow, that's really grungy......

I am real familiar with the whole "3 hours work for a 30 second fix." thing....... Re-sealing the direction shaft on my 445 was an exercise, to replace two orings... less than ten bucks in parts. :D

·
4,180 Posts
If you Get a couple cans of Rustleum John Deere and the yellow green you can really spruce it up while it is apart....you are making a tough job look easy

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cleaned the grease out. Now its time to see if I can get the broken bolts removed. I'll clean the gears up as I assemble.

100_3063 (Medium).JPG

1 - 20 of 29 Posts