My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
CWhiz
Great pics of the transmission opened up. Exactly answers one of the questions I have to address with a non-working 14SB. Have a deaf friend who loves his 14SB, and it has stopped working. The stiff grease in the transmission that restricts the clutch movement is my suspicion. However, the driven pulley shaft is very sloppy and I suspect there is a bad bearing.
From your experience, can those bearings be replaced without opening up the transmission? If so, that is what I'd like to try first to get this mower running for my deaf friend.
Are your pics posted unique or are there some duplicates?
And, are they pics of the "first opening" showing hardened grease, or showing new grease?
Appreciate any help you or anyone can offer.
bt2

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
those bearings seem to go bad often. you must open the trans to change them. good luck these are not easy to get back together and have them work right again. its a lot of work .

·
Registered
10 Posts
those bearings seem to go bad often. you must open the trans to change them. good luck these are not easy to get back together and have them work right again. its a lot of work .
Thank you Dan. I did find a note pointing out the one bolt securing the lower bearing in place, which I see now is only accessible once the transmission is open.
I am getting prepared mentally to take that step to open this transmission, clean the old grease out, put in the new bearings, add grease and hopefully get it back together.
Appreciated the warning that it may not be easy..
How do the plastic fork arms come off? just a friction fit and need to use a tool like a flat-blade screwdriver to pry them off before splitting the tranny, or just leave them in place?
bt2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have the transmission opened up.. and learned what I need to know about the fork levers. The insides look like the grease was made up of sawdust.. or just crumbly from grinding up old dry grease in the gears. Bearings VERY bad shape. On to the next step of cleaning up old grease.
100_4443.jpg

bt2

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
when putting the case halfs back together-the bushings at the ends of the long shaft must be in a certain orientation or the case will not want to close together. this is a MUST . I found ths out the hard way tru trial and error-mostly error lol. good luck . everything else isn't that hard to figure out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you Dan.
I did notice a notch in those bushings, so they must settle into position in the case.. will keep that in mind..
Is there anything critical about how the individual gears go back on the cluster (hope that makes sense). Cleaning up the cluster shown lifted out, the small one slid off but didn't see anything particular about how it should be slipped back on in relation to the others.. will remove all of them to clean.
Appreciate the tips.
bt2

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
i wasn't brave enough to separate the gears from the shafts. mine had a clutch engage issue. gears were fine.. I ended up buying a new transmission after 4 attemps to fix mine-I gave up

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have the one gear cluster apart and marked each one to at least put back in the same order, although doesn't look to be critical.

Then built a temporary stand to support the upper half (upside down) to help with cleaning and assembly. Waiting for bearings to arrive and hoping that re-assembly goes okay.. fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
smart idea about the stand! yes you need more than 2 hands doing this sometimes. hope all goes smoothly for you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Waiting on bearings and axle shaft seals, and trying to sort out which way that notch goes in the 4 bushings at each end of the gear clusters. Appreciate the heads up that the case doesn't fit back right if they are not correct.
Initially, could not figure out what the 5 holes were in that insert in bottom of the lower casting.. then it dawned on me that the bb size ball held in the cup of the little leaf spring acted as a detent for each position of the 5 speeds of the transmission.
bt2

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
yes that part is bizarre and took me a while to figure too. the trans will work with out that back in place I found out during one of my attempts .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Early today had this 14SB transmission put back together and ready for grease, then some tube gasket, and bolted back together..

Dry testing it seemed to work fine, so made the move to button it up.

The tranny is back in the mower and it is ready for a test run tomorrow.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts