My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Handy DIY Guy
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an avid DIY guy with a John Deere walk-behind in need of repair. I'm hoping to get some repair pointers on this machine before the grass gets to high here in Georgia.
My machine is a 14SB Part ID GX14SBF472052. I bought it new in 1997 and recently replaced some of the tires and the duel air filter. Great machine. When the mowing season began here I noticed the transmission starting to make a lot of clicking/clacking sounds and started to lose its ability to corner properly. It lost its differential ability and is tearing up the grass when I change directions. I spoke to a couple of the JD dealers in my area and they think it’s the transmission but since where in the spring season now they’re talking 3 to 4 weeks to get it repaired. Ugh.
I’m handy with tools and figure I’ll swap the transmission out. I’m sure this mower has another 10 years in it with that Kawasaki engine. It looks doable but I have one question for starters. I can see I’ll need to remove the transmission drive pulley so I can disconnect the gear shift cable from the shift lever on the top of the transmission. The connection is under the pulley. Does anybody have a recommendation for removing the nut on the top of the pulley? I can get a socket on the nut but I can’t stop the pulley from spinning so I can remove the nut. The bolt is rusty so I put some penetrating oil on it. Also I noticed the pulley has a shaft key. Will I need a gear puller to get the pulley off once I get the nut off? I've included some pictures for clarification. Your help is appreciated.:thanku:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
First, let me say you have taken excellent care of that mower! It looks great for its age. Before pulling the transmission out, are you certain the clicking and clanking sounds are coming from inside the transmission? The differential abilities come from the pinions out at the ends of the drive shaft to the wheels. You may want to look at them for wear and lubrication if you haven't already.

·
Registered
388 Posts
First, :MTF_wel2:

You should be able to grab the belt on the pulley with a pair of channel locks as you loosen it. As for the key, I pulled mine out with pliers. I did use a torch to heat it a bit. That made it a lot easier to pull out. And what he said ^^^^. Did you replace the rack gears on the inside of the wheels? That helped with mine.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Hold on with the transmission, it sounds like the wheel clutches are acting up. Each wheel should turn forward by hand and you should hear a clicking sound. Also when you squeeze the drive handle, the wheels should both lock if you try to pull it backwards. If the wheels don't behave like this, you need to disassemble and clean the clutches.

If you still need to remove the pulley, I held mine in place with a large pipe wrench. When I reinstall the pulley, I just snug it so it easily comes back off. All I have to do is squeeze the drive lever. Then, when the machine tries to walk forward I can just hold it in place when I loosen the nut. You shouldn't need a puller. I've had two Deere transmissions and both pulleys came right off.

·
Handy DIY Guy
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, :MTF_wel2:

You should be able to grab the belt on the pulley with a pair of channel locks as you loosen it. As for the key, I pulled mine out with pliers. I did use a torch to heat it a bit. That made it a lot easier to pull out. And what he said ^^^^. Did you replace the rack gears on the inside of the wheels? That helped with mine.
Thanks for the reply on my John Deere 14SB. I didn't have to replace the transmission after all. I replaced the spur gear on one of the rear wheels and was back in business. Thanks for your help though for I plan on keeping this mower running as long as I'm around so I''ll probably get around to the transmission some day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good morning John Deere 14 sb/se forum I need a little help. I pulled my 14 sb out yesterday day and was going to mow with it, but I run into a problem. When I went to pull the starter rope and pulled blade turned with safety handle held. I was thinking that my PTO clutch has seized up and needs replacing. The cable engages and is fine. Any ideas before I tear into this monster job of replacing PTO clutch, or if this could even be the problem? Thanks!

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Are you saying the blade always turns when the engine is running? Make sure the big BBC return spring underneath isn't broken.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Y Block yes I'm saying when I went to pul the cord t crank it, cell the blade turning when pull the cord. Haven't had time to investigate it yet, but you bring up a good point about that spring. Hope that's all it is, because if that clutch is bad that's a job removing engine and all. Luckily for me. Have a good part mower in my shop, problem s finding time to work my own stuff. But I will check that spring makes a lot if sense to me. I must wanted t shake the bushes and see f anyone had any ideas before tearing into the beast. Appreciate the info about the spring and I will let you know what I find out. Thanks so much for your response ft my question. You have a blessed day and once a gan thanks s much . [email protected]

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Try moving the BBC arm sticking out of the deck. If you can move it, I think the BBC is fine. When disengaged, the arm should be toward the front of the mower.

·
Registered
9 Posts
John Deere Pt 235 PTO disengages after short time of mowing, could this be a bad PTO clutch? We have already replaced the PTO switch.

·
LBO
1,248 Posts
Wow! That is the cheapest and easiest fix of all. I had a 14 SB that just needed a new rear wheel, and a JX 75 that needs a new tranny. A shame, because the deck and engine are mint. I will make it a pusher.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found this old thread with a google search. I was having the exact same problem as the OP, felt like the differential was not working and I was looking into replacing the transaxle. This mower was given to me by my dad many years ago, who bought it from his late Brother who was a Deere salesman, when it was new. My 14se has a lot of sentimental value as he was my favorite uncle, always letting me drive the tractors around the lot, bringing cool things home for me to play with when we visited, etc. Anyway, I took the wheels apart and cleaned up and lubed the spring and gear on the axle and it is like new again. Just had to register here and say thank you for the info. I’ll be looking here for more info in the future on keeping my Deere in top shape, which still starts in one easy pull.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello .This is my first time posting .I was looking for info on rebuilding these tuff torq 5 speed transmissions and found nothing .I ended up disassembling one to see if it needed an oil or grease change and indeed it did.i have some pics for others.
20200405_220839.jpg
20200405_220848.jpg
20200405_220848.jpg

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
the ONLY thing that goes wrong these trans is the clutch/ declutch operation. its a lousey desighn destined to fail if the grease gets old and hard. to remove the drive pulley- of the belt clamp way fails-put a small pair of vice grips on the pully to hold it. works every time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info .I picked up a 14sc and didnt realize what I had .Sat for over a year until my wife asked to sell it,then I start to clean the carb and the mower runs like new .It seems to be the best push mower ever made ,japanese bearings through out and an oil filter .The grease change on the trans helped out alot .Works flawlessly minus a little drag from the fresh grease.Now if I could only find the mulching plug that fits in the back of it .I have 15 bucks and an oil filter into it .Glad I didnt let it get away from me.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
they would be the best ever made if they used a clutchless trans like toro. the trans is the only weak part after you delete the BBC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts