My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/1889450080.html

I don't know the John Deere model numbers. They talk about this being a "push mower", but some people use that term in place of "walk behind". Is the PZ self-propelled? I'm thinking "P" probably means "Push".

That also looks like a Briggs engine. Which models had the Kawasaki engines only?

Thanks.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That one looks like it might actually be push.....not a bad looking mower, and it looks like he has all of the accessories, which is rare for an older mower. That's probably a decent mower for home use. Might be a little on the heavy side.

The JD's with the Kawi's are the 14SB, and the JX75, which I think is just an updated 14SB. I'm sure they are some others I'm leaving out.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The 14PZ is a push only with zone start. The model 14's are very nice lawnmowers. I've seen two for sale here in Houston during the past three weeks. They have all had very rotten decks(aluminum). Check it for oxidation on top, on the back and under the deck. Íf they aren't kept clean and debris-free they will rust. From the photos it looks very nice. Offer $75 if you don't have a pokerface or $50 if you do. I would pay about $80-90 for it since it doesn't have self-propelled.

good luck!

Here's a previouos thread:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7SUNA_en&tbs=isch:1

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!

Not really looking to buy at the moment, but I am looking to get my knowledge level up about them, because a J-D walk-behind probably will be my next mower purchase. There is also a 14SB for sale up in Raleigh, and he's only got $75 on it, but it looks dirty from the photo. May be a bad photo. May also have a lot of deck rot, I dunno. Point is moot at the moment, but I'm always out there looking...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Houston is much like Raleigh. Combination of fertilizer, damp, humid air and sea breeze. If you don't clean your aluminum decks after each mow, you'll get deck rot. Almost all of the aluminum decks around here will have some bubbling under the paint and white scale under the deck.

I have been painting them with a rust inhibitor and Duplo bedliner paint when I buy them.

That's one good thing about the plastic Honda decks. If I lived nearer to the coast, I'm sixty miles away, I wouldn't buy anything but a nextite Honda. My HRM215 is seventeen years old and looks and runs like a new one. I have two aluminum deck Hondas and they have bubbling and flaking paint on top and had lots white scale underneath.

The 14S's I looked at the last two weeks had lots of scale, flake and pitting. One for $20 was so rotten I could poke holes in the deck with a screwdriver!

·
Registered
204 Posts
theres a grey cover on the back, whats it covering up if it isnt self propelled

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll bet the cover is on all of them, just for aesthetic purposes.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Makes sense from a cost standpoint. Just use the same deck for propelled and not. Look at the LB 10323 versus the non-propelled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts