My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knock on wood my 1973 140 h3 I found growing in a guys back yard for some 15yrs has turned out to be a great tractor. We got it running at the guys house and I drove it out of his yard!! Its engine required nothing more than a better carburator to make it run well. It ran the snowthrower this winter a few times and worked awesome. It is a really reliable old thing. As it turns out talking with the last owner it was a dealer maintained machine all its working life and was only neglected after it was retired. But after getting it I got the Creep out of the tranny, I fixed all the hydrolic leaks, but for the life of me I cant get the hydro lever to stop moving back into neutral by itself. While I am driving forward I have to keep my hand on the lever at all times or it will return itself to neutral. I have tried ajusting the nut at the base of the lever, it didnt seem to help any. I also flipped that piece of spring steel that the control lever bolts to. So far I cant remady the problem any tips?? :thanku:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea. That is the only adjustment I am aware of as well for the hydro lever slipping.
Well its worth a shot anyways! I plan to try out my 3pt hitch and its plows in an old field at some family property and that would really irritate me if it kept going back to neutral by itself lol.

BTW How do you think a 140 will do pulling a 12" plow through ground that hasnt been touched in 12 years? I am not sure what its capable of yet when it comes to running a plow.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
I bought a 140 yesterday with the same issue. Mine has the nut. I will adjust it and see what happens. Great timing on this thread!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I pulled the battery tray out of my 140 tonight and sure as S#!% The little brake pad that stops the hydro lever from vibrating back to neutral is missing all together on my tractor. I can clearly see where it should be but the pad must have fallen out that explains why the adjustment nut did nothing. now off to find a new one!

Many thanks for the tips! I am glad it was an easy fix
:thanku::thanku::thanku::thanku::thanku::thThumbsU:thThumbsU:thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
33,601 Posts
Your 140 should pull the plow without too much trouble unless you have hard clay soil. Lot's of 140's pulling at PA Plow day and they have no problems. Of course that land is turned every year. Ag tires are the best but chains and turfs will work. I'd recommend loading the tires for extra weight and adding wheel weights too!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your 140 should pull the plow without too much trouble unless you have hard clay soil. Lot's of 140's pulling at PA Plow day and they have no problems. Of course that land is turned every year. Ag tires are the best but chains and turfs will work. I'd recommend loading the tires for extra weight and adding wheel weights too!
My h3 has ags with 100lbs of weight on each wheel it would probably be ok in the traction dept. At least I know if the 1973 14hp 140 cant pull a 12" plow through an old abandond field my mid 1940's 7hp Model L JD could certainly pull its 12" plow no problem lol and show up my 140 with half the hp and 2x the cyls lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts