My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new here so I apologize if this isn't the proper place to post questions but I am in need of some advice. I picked up a used 12sb (silver deck, unsure what engine - it is self-propelled with 5 speeds) from a Goodwill auction (great deal) and everything is clean and looks great but after prepping it I am only able to get it to run for about 30 seconds and it cuts off. A friend (not a mechanic but has some experience) thinks it must be the fuel line or the carburetor. The blade/deck look excellent and the whole machine appears to have been well maintained so I am wondering if it will be worth it to have it repaired? I know it is a pretty old model but bought it anyway based on the countless glowing reviews and would really love to get it running but have no experience with the cost of repairs for higher end mowers. It looks like the mower in the photo but is the 12SB not the 14. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you, Jodie

Attachments

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
The 12SB is a 2 cycle mower and needs to have oil mixed in the gas like a chain saw. 1 means one cylinder, 2 means 2 cycle, S means self propelled and B means blade brake clutch. A 14SB like your picture the 4 means a 4 cycle engine. If you do not have oil mixed in the gas the engine will quickly lock up and stop from lack of lubrication without the oil in the gas. Hopefully you haven't caused damage at this point. Roger

·
LBAD Victim
982 Posts
The 12SB is a 2 cycle mower and needs to have oil mixed in the gas like a chain saw. 1 means one cylinder, 2 means 2 cycle, S means self propelled and B means blade brake clutch. A 14SB like your picture the 4 means a 4 cycle engine. If you do not have oil mixed in the gas the engine will quickly lock up and stop from lack of lubrication without the oil in the gas. Hopefully you haven't caused damage at this point. Roger
She hasn't caused damage. She stated in the last line that the picture was like the one she has, but hers is a 12, not a 14 sb.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
The 12 is the 2 cycle version and no gas in the mix kills them quickly and that is exactly what I said and I quote "It looks like the mower in the photo but is the 12SB not the 14." You did not read carefully what she said and I did. The photo is not her mower. Roger

·
5,538 Posts
Okay gents! First, lets not assume that Jodie is a woman. There are guys named Jodie so unless I missed something, that remains to be determined. All that was stated was that they bought a 12SB which looked like a picture of a 14SB. They did state that they did not know what engine it had so it would be of benefit to know that up front. They also stated a friend, not a mechanic but has some experience, (who should know the difference between a 2 cycle and a 4 cycle) had looked at it. With all that being said lets get back to addressing the original questions asked in the first post. Bill

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
I think first my response addressed that. If it is a 2 stroke and you put reguler gas into into the engine it will run a very short time and then stop which he/she said was the problem. I am not the one that misread the post. Roger

·
Registered
574 Posts
The 12SB has a Briggs 2 stroke engine on it. Are you using mixed fuel in it or straight gas? If you’re using the correct oil/gas mix in it, it could be anything from a plugged fuel line or gas tank, faulty coil, faulty kill switch, etc... Nice mower, btw. I have the 14SB.

L8R,
Matt

·
LBAD Victim
982 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new here so I apologize if this isn't the proper place to post questions but I am in need of some advice. I picked up a used 12sb (silver deck, unsure what engine - it is self-propelled with 5 speeds) from a Goodwill auction (great deal) and everything is clean and looks great but after prepping it I am only able to get it to run for about 30 seconds and it cuts off. A friend (not a mechanic but has some experience) thinks it must be the fuel line or the carburetor. The blade/deck look excellent and the whole machine appears to have been well maintained so I am wondering if it will be worth it to have it repaired? I know it is a pretty old model but bought it anyway based on the countless glowing reviews and would really love to get it running but have no experience with the cost of repairs for higher end mowers. It looks like the mower in the photo but is the 12SB not the 14. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you, Jodie

You have found a wonderful mower. However, parts for these things can be hard to find, especially the 2 cycle versions. The carburetors can be very picky from what I understand. If you an get it to run, it sounds as if your issue is indeed fuel related. Try cleaning out the jets in the carburetor. I'll see if I can find a diagram tomorrow.

·
LBAD Victim
982 Posts
Okay gents! First, lets not assume that Jodie is a woman. There are guys named Jodie so unless I missed something, that remains to be determined. All that was stated was that they bought a 12SB which looked like a picture of a 14SB. They did state that they did not know what engine it had so it would be of benefit to know that up front. They also stated a friend, not a mechanic but has some experience, (who should know the difference between a 2 cycle and a 4 cycle) had looked at it. With all that being said lets get back to addressing the original questions asked in the first post. Bill
Good point. I guess all the Jodie's I know in my family are female, so I said that out of habit. That's a habit I should probably break.

I think first my response addressed that. If it is a 2 stroke and you put reguler gas into into the engine it will run a very short time and then stop which he/she said was the problem. I am not the one that misread the post. Roger
I did misread your first post. My bad. But would it start after it dies after running for 30 seconds? My understanding is that the mower will restart, but won't stay running.

·
5,538 Posts
Well they stated it would run about 30 seconds and then die. Didn't state whether it would still pull over or whether they had done this multiple times. Looks like we need more information from the PO otherwise we are just guessing. As soon as the symptoms are clarified and the frequency in which they are occurring we can help nail down the issue. Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First off I would just like to thank Yard Nazi for restoring my faith in the human (forum) race, haha.. I got sidetracked by something else back then so i didn't see many of the responses until now.

I am a woman (although the spelling of my name is the variation usually used for boys) and I used properly fixed fuel/oil.

I really want to get it fixed but it sounds like finding the parts is pretty difficult? Could anyone give me a just an idea/range of what type of cost I will looking at? I am very handy and will probably just do it myself if it is too outrageous. Any ideas/advice are greatly appreciated.

Any recommendations for quality push or self-propelled mowers that can take a beating and keep going strong would be great as well. The mower I have right now is a fairly new Honda with a Briggs & Stratton engine - terrible performance to say the least. The mower I had before this one was an old hand-me-down Murray mulcher (Husqvarna) that I loved and used until it was no longer safe to do so because most of the deck was rusted out (engine still ran great).

Thank you for all the responses - I appreciate your help

·
LBAD Victim
982 Posts
First off I would just like to thank Yard Nazi for restoring my faith in the human (forum) race, haha.. I got sidetracked by something else back then so i didn't see many of the responses until now.

I am a woman (although the spelling of my name is the variation usually used for boys) and I used properly fixed fuel/oil.

I really want to get it fixed but it sounds like finding the parts is pretty difficult? Could anyone give me a just an idea/range of what type of cost I will looking at? I am very handy and will probably just do it myself if it is too outrageous. Any ideas/advice are greatly appreciated.

Any recommendations for quality push or self-propelled mowers that can take a beating and keep going strong would be great as well. The mower I have right now is a fairly new Honda with a Briggs & Stratton engine - terrible performance to say the least. The mower I had before this one was an old hand-me-down Murray mulcher (Husqvarna) that I loved and used until it was no longer safe to do so because most of the deck was rusted out (engine still ran great).

Thank you for all the responses - I appreciate your help

Well, it is hard to give an estimate since we don't really know what is going on, but you could probably clean the carburetor, which costs practically nothing.

I have a Toro Super Recycler. I mow 20-30 yards a week with it, and it gets abused. It works great and doesn't show signs of wear.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have had very good luck pulling carbs off mowers and just pulling the bowl off, pulling the float pin, float, needle, and running a small needle/wire through the various tiny orifices. If you have access to compressed air that would probably work better. If theres any adjustable needles I remove them, after carefully turning them in until they seat, while counting the number of turns to get them in the ballpark when reinstalling. If you are careful while removing carb from intake and filter housing, you can usually reuse gaskets. Its a good idea to take note of linkage setup for throttle/governor for reinstallation. If gas smells bad I drain and generally just fill with fresh mix, maybe swish some fresh mix in tank to do a quick & dirty cleaning of tank unless it is in a terrible state. If you search the model online there are usually numerous places online that have schematics/diagrams available that will allow you to see exactly how its all set up.

With mower engines, most everything metal is made of aluminum, so be mindful when reinstalling things to not overtighten things(ask me how I know).

I have the older green deck 12sb, along with a silver deck 14sb. Solid mowers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts