My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run a self storage facility and someone abandoned a John Deere 12SB in one of my units. I know it's a 2 cycle. on the plastic cover where the leaf catcher bag it gives the model !2SB, 4hp two cycle and etc...
Does anyone know what the manufacture of the motor would be? year of the mower?
After replacing the spark plug and putting new gas mixture in the mower it starts in 2-3 pulls.
the serial # of the mower is GX125BX011132 if that helps.
thank you and great forum btw!
Lance

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
its a mitshibishi made for briggs -lets just say it dosnt have exactly a stellar track record. was pulled of the market after only a few years.once you get one started-they run fantastic-its getting them started thats the issue-well at least with all the ones i had.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a mitshibishi made for briggs -lets just say it dosnt have exactly a stellar track record. was pulled of the market after only a few years.once you get one started-they run fantastic-its getting them started thats the issue-well at least with all the ones i had.
mine seems to start 2nd, third pull everytime....it's the 4hp thats getting me, from reading this site everyone seems to have 5hp 2 cycle briggs??

also, anyone know what years John deere sold these?
mine is a silver deck.
Lance : )

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
mine seems to start 2nd, third pull everytime....it's the 4hp thats getting me, from reading this site everyone seems to have 5hp 2 cycle briggs??

also, anyone know what years John deere sold these?
mine is a silver deck.
Lance : )
Guessing btwn 1992 thru 1994?? Just because its on a silver deck. Is the handle chrome or black?? Chrome is older and black would be newer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guessing btwn 1992 thru 1994?? Just because its on a silver deck. Is the handle chrome or black?? Chrome is older and black would be newer.
it's chrome, i figured before 2000, because the people had it in storage for the past nine years

thanx for responding

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
JD is tough to find info about. Its just a guess based on the JD's I've had with Kawasaki engines and silver/chrome handles.

Thats a good one if it starts then. You might want to get that one of Tobys for some spare parts.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
sold in early-mid 90,s . engine was pulled from the market if that says anything. most frustrating engine i ever had. smooth running, quiet, fuel efficent-just almost impossiable to start. at least ALL of mine were. i trew every one out still running. just got fed up. even had the factroy manual so i did everything right with them. there are 2 carbs used-mikuni and walbro. all mine were mikuni-heard the walbro ones didnt have problems

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sold in early-mid 90,s . engine was pulled from the market if that says anything. most frustrating engine i ever had. smooth running, quiet, fuel efficent-just almost impossiable to start. at least ALL of mine were. i trew every one out still running. just got fed up. even had the factroy manual so i did everything right with them. there are 2 carbs used-mikuni and walbro. all mine were mikuni-heard the walbro ones didnt have problems
mine must be a walbro carb. used for the first time this evening, mowed great!
a couple of things though, engines revs up and down until you engage the blade then very smooth running.
was doing great the first 10 minutes of mowing, then noticed the stiching on the catch bag busted for about 14-16 inches. 24 safety pins later, back in business! don't take long for the bag to fill up in bermuda.
btw, looked on the engine, it is a briggs
anyone know where you can a replacement grass bag?
Lance

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
correct-needs a load-. you can still buy a bag at your jd dealer as they still sell this bag now on newer models but be prepared to open wide for it. jd parts are very expencive. i would get the mulch plug and forget about bagging.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
correct-needs a load-. you can still buy a bag at your jd dealer as they still sell this bag now on newer models but be prepared to open wide for it. jd parts are very expencive. i would get the mulch plug and forget about bagging.
yea, i checked with the local john deere place, they have to order it...35.99, just the bag

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
wait till you have to replace the drive cable. the co that originally suppilied it is out of biz. you have to replace the bail assembly to go along with the new cable assembly from another vendor. dispite all this -these are still my favorite mowers of all time-well at least the ones with the kawi engine. does everything well-mulch -bag and side shoot and has 5 usefull close ratio trans speeds.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
wait till you have to replace the drive cable. the co that originally suppilied it is out of biz. you have to replace the bail assembly to go along with the new cable assembly from another vendor. dispite all this -these are still my favorite mowers of all time-well at least the ones with the kawi engine. does everything well-mulch -bag and side shoot and has 5 usefull close ratio trans speeds.
I agree with everything but there are two styles of blades offered that can enhance what style of mowing you choose. The bagging blade IMO is a crappy mulcher but with the bag its fantastic. The bagging blade is less expensive and was the popular choice when people bought a new blade.

I just replaced a shift cable and though the job is a pain in the A... The cable was only $7.
As for the other cables.......watch out...expensivo....

Just take care of it and it will last many more years.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
this is one mower that a gator does not work well on. the jd mulching blade works far better than the gator which leaves a trail of clippings

1 - 18 of 18 Posts