My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody cast any light on the removal method for the lift arm lower cross shaft . Left hand side(looking forward has a slight oil leak which I guess isn't going to repair itself.
It looks like the shaft comes out of either side of the lower block through a machined orifice, but it must be possible to replace the seals somehow I guess.
It's just not readily apparent.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Welcome to MTF
Drain hyd oil,place L/D lever under seat in minimum or "D" whichever applies to your tractor,remove both draft arms,push L/D control shaft out of trans case from either side,pry out seals with a pick or screwdriver. Inspect shaft & bushings for wear,keep in mind minimal wear on shaft can cause seals to leak. Heat neoprene seals in warm water or oil then compress sides of seal together so as to insert seal into grooves in bushings. Liberally oil shaft then re-install attaching draft links utilizing shims to limit side to side motion of shaft. Fill trans with Hy-Gard hyd oil or it's equivalent. Now would be an excellent time to remove hyd oil sump screen(key 30) to check for foreign material(see photo below).

Back when I served as a JD dealer service manger I was instructed to only change bushings if worn significantly as repeated replacement can harm trans case.
Good luck,Jim

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts