My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a john deere 111 rear gas tank mower off craigslist deck was off and it smokes a little i have a question if i replace the engine how large can i go with or size or should i stay with a 11hp also im having problems turning the deck on when its down, do i have to push something or should it just turn on, also when i got it the sensor was unpluged under the seat not sure what thats about, one more question is with the hook hanger on the left bottom of the deck what kind of hook should i use, he said to use a j hook but that didnt seem to look right and neither does an s hook. thanks cy.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,933 Posts
The deck not turning on would probably be because that sensor under the seat is unplugged (I'm guessing.... I have a 160 that has a seat switch like that, so that the pto turns off if my butt leaves the seat)... As to the hangar, we'd need to know what size... I'm gonna guess its a 38, and that it looks like this:

Part number 31 would be the hangar you're probably looking for... However, if that one is missing, you'll maybe want to actually talk to your JD dealer about ordering a new one, as that assembly there (#s 31,32 and 33) is the deck leveling adjustment... I got this info from the JD online Parts catalog. Point your browser at it, punch in 111 as the model, and you should see an entry for the 111 lawn tractor. You can then expand it out to get to the Mower section so you can get the PN for that part.... If yours IS a 38" deck, they should still be able to bring that part in for you....

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
If it smokes, then probably needs rings. They are cheap but you need to know what you are doing. Finding the right mechanic saves alot of time and money in the long run if you cant do the job. Does it smoke all the time or only at start up??

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it smokes all the time just not as much when it starts, it also leaks a little gasoline and where would i go in finding the rings for the motor?

·
Registered
259 Posts
i have 2 older 111's and put kawasaki 12.5 engines in them,great power now,u do have to do some rewiring ,like a regulater from a 160,it's a common as dirt size shaft on bottom so almost anything will work,if it will fit under hood,the fb460v kawasaki is the same as used in the 1 year only 112L which i hope to get someday!!

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,933 Posts
it smokes all the time just not as much when it starts, it also leaks a little gasoline and where would i go in finding the rings for the motor?
Sorry for not responding on this one, I'm not much of a small engine guy! (more of a geeky computer guy who dabbles in tractors)... Hope you can find an answer for this one.... BTW, if the Kawi FB460v would fit in the 111, it'd be a good reliable engine from what I've seen....

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
A honda or kawasaki would be the way to go!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's not if the kawi will fit,its a drop in no altering to anything swap,i've had one in our 79 111 since those engines came out,i actually got it at Northern hydraulics in Minneapolis many many years ago,it's still very strong and never has used any oil!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts