My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new Deere owner (of an old model, a 1984 Model 111), and am having some issues getting it going this Spring (second year of owning it). First it would not start, after a shot of starter fluid it fired right up and runs fine now, until I hit the PTO switch. It then makes horrible sounds (runs loudly with some squealing), bogs the engine down, and sounds and smells like a belt is burning (also begins to smoke a little). Allowed to continue it bogs engine down enough to kill it. I had also recently adjusted the deck height but I did this last year and never had a problem (which makes me think it is caused by sitting throughout winter), also I tried engaging the PTO on dirt in case it was the extra load of grass bogging it down, but the same thing happened. My question (not being familiar with these and having not found a similar thread in any forum) is does anyone know what it may be doing and what needs to be changed? It almost sounds like the belt is trying to turn a pulley that doesn't want to turn, maybe cleaning it out will help? Any help is appreciated as I will have time to work on it this week and, while I have automotive experience (so I can turn a wrench), I would prefer to have some kind of lawn tractor knowledge going in. Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Sounds like the deck idler pulley or one of the spindles is tight. Best thing to do is pop the PTO belt off and see what you can turn by hand. I think you'll find it pretty quick. Good luck :fing32:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I tried turning the pulleys by hand and they would turn freely, but the stop. I noticed the blade was hitting the metal shroud piece that covers the output chute (where the clippings come out). I realized it had bent when I backed the mower out and the deck bottomed out on some metal bar grating at the entrance of my shed. I didn't think it hit hard enough to bend anything, but apparently it did. So after removing the shroud and hammering it back to form, then re-installing it, everything works fine now. That can't have been good on the motor, but that Briggs still runs like a top. Buy American! Thanks for the tip, it helped find the problem quick!

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
I'm glad you figured it out. :thThumbsU Oh :Welcome1: by the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts