My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to look at a 1974 John Deere 110 in the next couple of days. The photos that the current owner sent look good and rust free, and he says it runs great. The engine serial number that the owner sent me works out to the 10 HP engine. I don't remember the mower deck size.

It's going to be more of a toy and novelty than a real working tractor. I doubt that I'll ever mow with it, but I might pull a small trailer or spreader. Nothing more than that.

Other than the obvious (smoking, running issues, etc) is there anything I should look for when I see it in person? Any weak spots?

·
Small Engine Mechanic
55 Posts
As a 110 & 112 Owner The Only Thing I Would Be Concerned About Is If Its Hydraulic Or Electric Lift Just Make Sure Those Work, If Its Manual Lift, Just Make Sure That The Engine & Trasaxle Work Great & That The Lift & Steering Work Okay, Then you should be Okay, These Are Great Tractors

Hope This Helps

·
Super Moderator
32,682 Posts
Check for play in the steering, too much indicates that the steering may not have been lubed properly (zerk is very hard to reach) and may strip the gears before long! By the way you can normally get the steering assembly on eBay for about $35 - $50 so this is not a "do not buy" warning, just a consideration. Steering shaft is a pain to change but can be done in your garage! Be ready for some bloody knuckles though!

Check the variator (small handle to the right of steering wheel) to see that speed changes as it is adjusted! Check for leaking oil from engine, see if gears shift easily and that it stays in gear while being driven over uneven terrain. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts