My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a John Deere 110 SF with an 8 HP Kohler. When I first got it, it ran fine and I mowed quite a bit with it. However, I've been having issues with it lately. I can start it up when it's cold and it will run and mow for a few minutes. Then, when it gets under a pretty decent load, it starts to sputter and gradually gets worse to the point where it nearly dies. Then, I can turn the deck off and run it just fine for a couple more minutes until it gradually gets worse and eventually dies. I can then start it back up and it will run for just a few seconds before it dies again. I think it's either starving for fuel (carb issues) or the coil is getting hot and breaking down and needs a new coil. I'm going to try to spray ether in it when it starts to sputter to see if it speeds up when I do that. I may just take the carb off anyway to see what it looks like, but just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues so that I could possibly get a better idea of what the issue is. I took the fuel tank completely off, took the sediment bowl off, and took each fuel line off to make sure fuel was flowing properly. Everything was fine. I've also removed the gas cap to see if that was the issue and it still acted the same, so I've eliminated those. And yes, it does have gas. haha Thanks.

·
Three of my friends
9,000 Posts
Either might let you see the inside of the motor.!!!
pull the carb, most likely dirty.

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
When I got my 110 it would act like it was running out of fuel under load, since it's just gravity flow of fuel, I added a monster filter so enough fuel was always making into carb, made sure the float was set right, made big difference.

Attachments

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
I never run either of my gravity flow engines with fuel filters. They were giving me major vapor lock problems. The '73 was running like it was pulling 1000 lbs sitting still. I pulled out the fuel filter, dropped in a little Seafoam, and she runs nice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas. I think I'm going to try running it without the filter to see what happens. Will probably take carb off as well to clean it out. Just out of curiosity, what size fuel lines do you use on your 110s? Mine has two different size fuel lines (one is 3/8 between carb and filter, not sure on other one between filter and sediment bowl).

·
Registered
367 Posts
My 110 was doing that and I cleaned the carb and new kit and put new points and condenser on it. Runs good now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Before tearing into it, you might try running it 3/4 to full throttle, and backing out the high speed screw about a half a turn. Might clear a little something from the main jet. Has worked for me before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts