My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a house recently and the owner had a John Deere LA140 as a backup mower to his zero turn that he threw in with the deal. It runs well and is also a backup mower for me so I want to throw a snowblower on it. Is this mower considered a 100 series? I am having trouble finding one compatible to this mower. Just want to know what to look or search for. Don’t know much about JD. thanks for any advice

· Registered
1,058 Posts
Welcome!
Yes, that's a "100-series" model. It was made in 2007. (That's the only year they put "LA" on the front and had model numbers ending with 0 at the same time.)

Age aside of course, the specs are equivalent to the 2021 S170 (which just appeared on deere.com recently) or 2020 E170.

The limitation of tractor capability is the transmission. The 100-series uses low-end transmissions. The LA140 uses the K46 trans specifically. Technically, you'd consider the 100-series a riding mower, despite the fact that it looks like a tractor. Another way to say it is "lawn tractor" as opposed to "garden tractor", where "garden" implies doing a little bit of digging/ground-engaging. The 100-series is designed for mowing flat suburban lots of an acre or less. The trans doesn't like hills, so any kind of grades on the property will put extra strain on the trans.

There's a reason Deere tractors go over $10,000 easily - it's the capability. The units sold for $3000 or less are really just mowers. For more heavy duty pulling/digging or even mowing hills/inclines, you would need to spend more.

The 100-series works well for what it's designed for. Go outside those limits and you'll have problems. The K46 has a very bad reputation online, but that's due in large part to people overworking them. If it's gently used on a flat lot, it works just fine.

Reactions: RedOctobyr

· Registered
2,488 Posts
JW, It MIGHT bolt up, and you MIGHT be able to lift it, and you MIGHT be able to make the auger turn! There are many 100 series tractors made by Deere, 100 thru 190C, D1xx, E1xx, L1xx, LA1xx, plus more! Contact seller and find out Model number. Someone will prolly be able to say, "Yes" or "No". The correct blower for your tractor is a GX0422 or MOSB44H...can't comment on others fitting. Bob

· Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you can get the model number for the snowblower in question. That should help answer compatibility questions.

For snow removal duty, there is a good chance you would need chains for the rear tires, and possibly even added weights. Traction can become a problem when clearing snow. Due to the snow, of course, but also the stock tires are not meant for snow traction, and also because the weight of the snowblower hanging off the front takes weight off the rear wheels.

· Registered
1,058 Posts
Sorry... didn't address the snowblower part of the question.

There was a really good thread here about snowblowers for the 100-series. They have changed very little over the years, and someone found that an old one mounted on a new E model just fine.

· Registered
638 Posts
jwarsh58, where are you located? I am selling the snow blower from my 2008 LA165 and it would bolt right up. I'm near Utica, NY.

· Registered
638 Posts
Hahaha - yah, that would be a tough delivery! If you click on the link to the discussion that greenmachine posted, you'll see pics of the unit. That one is not mine but that's the "100 series" blower unit that would fit your LA140.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.