My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning. I'm new to this forum so please bear with me. I recently purchased a 2003 John Deer 2210 Tractor. I'm sure this has been brought up before but here goes. How the **** do you grease the Driveshaft? I've believe I have seen all the Youtube Videos of how much of a problem this is. My Tractor has a full Metal Curtis Cab. All the Videos I have seen have shown the removal of all the rear fenders floor boards ect. to get to the Driveshaft. Is there anyway to grease this Shaft
that I'm missing? The grease coupler on the end of a grease gun is too large to fit into the area with the Zerk fitting. I have tried the "needle" type grease gun adapter but grease goes everywhere except into the cups of the UJoint. I know there is an area on the left side lower instrument panel that you can remove to access the front of the Driveshaft but, forget trying to get grease from that point. All I can say is whomever designed this was nuts! Does anyone know of or have a method for greasing the front and rear of this shaft without taking the whole tractor apart to get to the shaft? Does anyone make a Grease Coupler that will fit onto
the Zerk fittings, or has someone made something that will work that will share? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Joe G. Southern NH.

1584109917885.jpeg

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,887 Posts
First welcome to MTF from Michigan the helping hand state. The thread is used to give new users the how to's of using the site. Normally, you would post an introduction about yourself and what equipment you have in "Introductions" area. Then you would post you technical/problem in the area by manufacturer and classification/model. "SCUT" & "John Deere". That way those who have knowledge will be able to help more quickly. I would split this up if I where you accordingly.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I have the 2305 - which is the next-generation of the same model tractor.
In my case, I can reach in from underneath, with the shaft positioned just right I can see and reach the grease nipple on the drive shaft u-joints.
I have used successfully a cone-shaped adapter - not a needle type.... The trick is to press the tip in to push in the check-valve ball in the grease nipple... and have the cone adapter at a straight-angle against the grease fitting, with constantly applied pressure, so that it seals around the hole as you pump the grease.
The other trick is to of course have this cone fitting on the end of a 18" rubber grease-gun extension hose - so that you dont have to fight to fit the grease gun itself in between all the guts of the tractor near the shaft....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Even without a cab my 2005 JD 2210 is a royal pain in the Arse to get grease into I’ve been thinking about drilling in to the end and attaching a grease nipple. But that hardened steel is not a joke... same with the front shaft to the front axle especially at the front of the carrier baring. This shaft is gifted with Life time lubrication... so far as of last night I have 1356 hours on my 2210. And the shaft has not been replaced .... YET...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sorry I'm late, but here is a good answer to your problem. I had a 2210 also, I took the shaft out and replaced the U joints with ones from NAPA the part number is UJ410, for 2 U joints I paid a total of $ 54.00. These replacement have zerk fitting on the end of the U joint. After the install any future greasing is easy. Hope this is a help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts