My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
rust in my veins
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all! new to the forum and economy tractors, got into it in a big way. I just got 2 of them, one is an early tractor with a briggs engine and the older style "ford" looking rear end, the one Im having questions with is the jim dandy. It has a 10 hp briggs on it and i am wondering if anyone can provide pictures of how the starter generator attached to the clutch housing? any help is appreciated like i said im new here but have 20 or so garden tractors from economy to shaw. thanks for the help!!!

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Can't help with your questions but want to welcome you to the forum. Someone should be along who can shed a little light on the subject.

·
Still plays with tractors
2,283 Posts
First of all, welcome!:MTF_wel: Now, can you give me the serial number of the tractor? Hopefully it is in tact somewhere. If I'm not mistaken, this one should have the rounded front on the hood, correct? It's probably a 9hp briggs. I assume since you are into tractor that you are sure it's a briggs. Don't mean to insult, I've just seen it all, ya know? I may be able to help you but I must pin point the year first. Pictures would be nice if you can. :wwp:

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
There was an older one in a town not far for sale at a rummage sale. Been in the barn on the dirt floor for 100 years it looked like. They said make an offer. No front rims and the briggs engine half missing. Offered $300 and they looked insulted.

Apparently that was one of those rare ones with a spare grand laying under the fan shroud or something.

Anyway, I have seen one with the briggs, but can't help you with thwe mounting.

·
rust in my veins
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the hood on the power king is squared off like the ones with the kohler, it just has a 10 hp briggs on it, it is all original. i wil post pics of both tractors soon, I am looking for a rounded hood to fit the other economy though if anyone has a spre laying around....

·
2,283 Posts
Those hoods are HARD TO FIND. I have a friend down south who actually made one.

·
2,283 Posts
Almost forgot, the serial number will tell whether or not that engine is original.

·
rust in my veins
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i will get the serial # when I head down to the shop later on thanks again for all your help

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can not remember exactly, but the early ones used a Ford rear-end. I will look at my pile of documents and see if I have a diagram of the starter/generator mounting. I should also have a list of which serial numbers used which engines to help narrow the years if the serial number is not found.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am slipping lately, I forgot to Welcome you to Teddy and of course ask about pictures. Like many, too many irons in the fire right now to be able to think straight.

I did a little bit of digging and found some information. If the engine is original, the 10 hp Briggs were used between 1965 and 1967 (serial numbers 12358 to 15480). If it is an earlier tractor, then it is a 9hp or has been re-powered.

I have an engine usage chart that I will try to scan in later and post along with the serial number chart in a new thread.

Also, the Yahoo Power King Group is an excellent source of information as well. It uses a different format than this site, but once you get used to it, the amount of information to be found is priceless.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I thought they used the briggs between 1949-1960 my 65 is a kohler

·
2,283 Posts
OK, that's what we need. Your tractor is a 1966. The Jim Dandys of that year had one of three engines. Kohler 10hp, Kohler 12hp or Briggs 243431 10hp. I had a 65 with the kohler 10hp myself. Neat little tractor. Now I have to look back to see what your question was! Ah, ok, I see what it was now. The starter/generator mounted on a bracket which was mounted to the top of the hogs head. I'll try to find some pics of my Jim Dandy restore and see if they show anything. You should have a decent sized cut out in the dash in which the starter/generator will stick through.

·
rust in my veins
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks jas and all of you guys for the help, any pics are a help. yes the dash is cut out for the generator, what I need the pics for is to see the brackets as mine are gone and I will need to mod/fab some new ones. also does anyone have a operators manual for this they could post as a .pdf file?

·
2,283 Posts
See if these pics help you out. This is from when I restored my 65 Jim Dandy. I tried to get some that show the bracket and where it mounts as well as what it all looks like together. Hope it helps. I have more if you need them. Thanks for your patience. Unfortunately, I don't own this tractor anymore so I can't take measurements for you.

·
2,283 Posts
Sorry it took so long but I have been beyond busy this spring.

·
Registered
384 Posts
jas11964

Wow, that was a sharp painted tractor. Do you recall the brand of rear tires that you had on it (are those mud ATs)?

Also which brand of paint did you use?

Thanks

·
2,283 Posts
Actually, those are the original tires that the tractor came with. Sorry, I don't recall what brand they were. Probably Goodyears but it's been a few years. The paint was actually Duplicolor Chevy engine orange #1620 out of a can. I bought everything from 4 different WalMarts I think. This was my first attempt at taking one down completely. It turned out ok I guess but there are some things that I could/should have done better. Thanks though. Appreciate the comments.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts